OpenSUSE and Foresight win distro's of 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE and Foresight win distro's of 2008

Ars Technica just handed out their yearly awards. Here is the excerpt and link to the article:

Ars Technica surveys the year in tech, and separates the losers from the …

Distro(s) of the Year: OpenSUSE and Foresight

The Linux distro landscape is always evolving, and virtually all of the mainstream distros have made significant progress this year. After careful consideration, we decided to give the Ovatio for Distro of the Year to two distributions that we think are particularly deserving. They've both made significant advancements this year and are important parts of the broader Linux ecosystem.
    Foresight Linux was created by rPath developer Ken VanDine in 2005. It's an impressive up-and-coming Linux distribution that has lots of potential. It vaulted into the mainstream this year when it was adopted by Shuttle for the KPC and other products. It leverages Conary, an innovative package management system with compelling features like file-based dependency resolution and support for rollbacks.
    Foresight is closely aligned with upstream GNOME and also includes the latest and greatest third-party applications. Packages are updated regularly and it often delivers new versions of GNOME before the other major distributions. You can expect to see Foresight gain even more momentum in the coming year.
    OpenSUSE is one of the oldest Linux distributions, but it has gone through some significant changes since its original launch in 1994. Under Novell's stewardship, OpenSUSE has become significantly more inclusive and community-driven. The distro announced its first community-elected board this year and has grown its base of contributors considerably. The distro has also made major technical advancements, including major improvements to its package management system and support for installation from a Live CD.
    OpenSUSE delivers a powerful user experience and is one of the few distros that provides equally outstanding support for both GNOME and KDE. Its KDE 4 environment is the best out there, which is why OpenSUSE has become the reference distro for all of our KDE reviews. Its GNOME environment is also top-notch and provides the perfect selection of applications in the default installation.

Its GNOME environment is also top-notch and provides the perfect selection of applications in the default installation.
    Well, I do use and like openSUSE, but a 'perfect selection' isn't 'perfect' without the gimp

Comment

Originally posted by some-guy View Post
      Well, I do use and like openSUSE, but a 'perfect selection' isn't 'perfect' without the gimp
      ?!?!?
      Gimp is installed by default. Even on a KDE install.

Comment

???
        Not on mine...(x64 gnome)
        And it was only on 11.0 too, maybe a corrupt download, or I might have removed it by accident...

Comment

Who is Ars Technica and who voted for "distro of the year"?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Who is Ars Technica and who voted for "distro of the year"?
            Try this RealNC:

For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Try this RealNC:

http://tinyurl.com/5glovm
              Still doesn't answer the question. I know how to find a website, thank you very much. It's even linked to in the OP.

I'm gonna make the question easier for you to comprehend. They say:

"After careful consideration, we decided to give the Ovatio for Distro of the Year to two distributions that we think are particularly deserving."

OK, me, RealNC, after careful consideration hereby decide to give the title of Distro of the Year to Slackware 12.1.

Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Still doesn't answer the question. I know how to find a website, thank you very much. It's even linked to in the OP.

I'm gonna make the question easier for you to comprehend. They say:

"After careful consideration, we decided to give the Ovatio for Distro of the Year to two distributions that we think are particularly deserving."

OK, me, RealNC, after careful consideration hereby decide to give the title of Distro of the Year to Slackware 12.1.

Wow!
                Read their regular reviews of the OS's if you want in depth info.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  ?!?!?
                  Gimp is installed by default. Even on a KDE install.
                  It installs by default when using the DVD. It does not, however, come with the Live-CD.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
                    It installs by default when using the DVD. It does not, however, come with the Live-CD.
                    That makes sense. I never use the live iso's.

Comment

Working...
                    X