Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.0 "Python 3000" Released

Phoronix: Python 3.0 "Python 3000" Released

The Python Software Foundation has this afternoon announced the much-anticipated release of Python 3.0 (a.k.a. Python 3000)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think it's awesome that they provide a conversion utility... I hope that the transition is relatively painless and quick.
    ..python FTW

Comment

I don't like that it's slower than python 2.5 But I guess they'll work that out.

But one thing I really like is the new string and unicode stuff. I had so much problems with it and some special characters....

Comment

... and this is how unmaintained, but crucial and irreplacable apps go to die.

Comment

true (there is one script in particular I don't want to die [denyhosts] - might spend some time py30 converting it, its not that hard actually)

While python have broken backwards compatibility (its not the 1st time, its just the 1st MAJOR time) it was needed to correct "mistakes" that had to be made early on in the language to allow it to develope, they have provided means to easily translate py2 code to be py3 compatable

Comment

It's a good thing to throw out old stuff that doesn't fit into the big picture anymore.

Just look at this mess called PHP, where the developers don't have the guts for it.

Comment

so distros will have to ship with two versions of python now?

Comment

Last time i checked with aptitude i had 2.5 and 2.4 installed, and they where both in the repo. So what's the big deal with several versions? Rather that than having all languages older than a year beeing crippled with beeing compatible with early mistakes in the design.

Comment

but how do scripts discriminate which python to use?

Comment

Originally posted by alec View Post
                    but how do scripts discriminate which python to use?
                    The joys of shebangs

you know those little one-liners at the start of scripts that you have seen but probably not thought about?

Code:
                    #!/bin/bash
                    That tells the sh what interpreter to use. The VAST majority of the time a python script will either use:

Code:
                    #!/usr/bin/env python
                    to pull from the system environement what the default python interpretor is OR they do:
                    Code:
                    #!/usr/bin/python
                    Where /usr/bin/python is a symlink to say... /usr/bin/python2.5

so all (I say all... still alot of work for the distro) would have todo is change the shebang to be a specific py version
                    Code:
                    #!/usr/bin/python2.2

Comment

Working...
                    X