Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512MB OC

Phoronix: Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512MB OC

We previously had looked at the ATI Radeon HD 4550 and Radeon HD 4670, but if you are looking for a graphics card that's positioned between the two and costs less, there is the Radeon HD 4650. The Radeon HD 4650 is clocked the same as the Radeon HD 4550, but is based upon the RV730PRO GPU and is able to provide a bit more processing power than the lesser RV710 solution. Sapphire though manufactures a Radeon HD 4650 graphics card that operates well beyond the reference core and memory frequencies for the RV730PRO and sells it at a very affordable price. In this article we are seeing how well the Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 512MB OC graphics card can perform under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could that Phoronix approved pic be converted to png with an alpha channel, to get it looking good (now the gif has jagged edges, due to limited transparency)?

The only stopper is IE6, and a Linux site should not give a damn about IE6 users

Comment

The article doesn't include the card's retail price.
      (And I'm not talking about the relative price - I'm talking about absolute price.)

Was it intended?

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Thanks for the tests.
        Any reason ETQW or Unigine weren't tested? It desperately lacks an intensive 3D engine test (or X-Plane, or anything else), and maybe one of the new wine tests in PTS (maybe the writer doesn't now about those ).

Comment

Looking at the performance comparsion between 4650 and 9600GT makes me wanna cry.

4650 is less than HALF the performance of 9600GT... maybe they should sell it for 50% price of a 9600GT also so it's gonna be a urban bargain

Comment

I'd really like to some quantitative comparisons of the noise made by graphics cards. My GeForce 6800GT cranks up the fan noise during intense sessions and I'd really appreciate knowing that card X is louded than card Y under load.

Comment

Originally posted by Nexus6 View Post
              I'd really like to some quantitative comparisons of the noise made by graphics cards. My GeForce 6800GT cranks up the fan noise during intense sessions and I'd really appreciate knowing that card X is louded than card Y under load.
              If you want quiet cards the simplest thing to do is look at cards with non-reference coolers. As a rule of thumb they tend to be quieter.

Comment

If you want a *REALLY* quiet card I suggest you buy a passively cooled card, like my EAX1600XT Silent.

Of course you have to pay a premium for that, though.

Comment

I don't get it at all.
                  We have two computer running Ubuntu Intrepid. I saw the test on the internet so I bought a sapphire 4670. I played some urt, openarena and serious sam then I noticed the games were unplayable if the flares option was true. And I didn't get the max fps in urt and serioussam was nearly unplayable so I thought further investigation will be necessary. There you are phoronix-test-suite 1.4. I ran some test :

####################################
                  OpenArena:
                  1680 x 1050

150.6 Frames Per Second
                  144.0 Frames Per Second
                  143.5 Frames Per Second

Average: 146.03 Frames Per Second

Urban Terror:
                  1680 x 1050

59.5 Frames Per Second
                  61.0 Frames Per Second

Average: 60.25 Frames Per Second

fglrx 8.12 + mesa 7.2
                  ======================
                  OpenArena:
                  1680 x 1050

147.4 Frames Per Second
                  144.7 Frames Per Second
                  141.2 Frames Per Second

Average: 144.43 Frames Per Second

Urban Terror:
                  1680 x 1050

58.9 Frames Per Second
                  60.6 Frames Per Second

Average: 59.75 Frames Per Second

The newest Catalyst (8.12) and the same goes for mesa (7.2) were slower than before. The other PC has an old and cheap 7300gt. It gets nearly as much point as my brand new 4670. I think you already noticed that in the phoronix test the 4670 had much better performance than what I got.

Some glxgears:
                  7300gt: 12072
                  4670: 7380

If someone has any idea it would be welcome.

Comment

The glxgears benchmark tests only the most basic rendering functions; coloured triangles with no textures and no shaders. As a result the numbers end up being misleading in a couple of ways :

1. Older cards often score higher than newer cards because modern cards spend much more of their transistor budget on shaders and texture engines rather than ROPs. It's not unusual for an older card to outrun a newer card in the same range; usually the older card has more ROP throughput than the new card.

2. In many cases the benchmark runs CPU limited rather than GPU limited; in that case you end up measuring is the driver efficiency on a trivial path which is mostly used by glxgears and screen savers.

In the case of 7300gt vs 4670 both cards have 8 ROPs, memory width/type is the same and the clock rates aren't that different, so their theoretical performance on glxgears should be relatively similar. Shader power is a diferent story; the 4670 has somewhere between 5x and 8x the shader power of the 7300gt depending on how you do the math. Something like the Unigine demos (in the Phoronix test kit IIRC) would probably show off that difference.

By the way you mentioned "fglrx 8.12 and mesa 7.2" which I didn't understand; fglrx doesn't use mesa for 3d, it has its own 3d driver stack.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 13 December 2008, 11:17 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X