Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Default MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Phoronix: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Last month NVIDIA brought PureVideo features to Linux through a new API they call the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix in their NVIDIA 180.xx driver. NVIDIA also provided a set of patches that enabled MPlayer to use this API that offloads video decoding and other tasks to the GPU. The formats supported by VDPAU are currently H.264, MPEG, WMV3, and VC-1...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg4Ng

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MythTV Adds Support For NVIDIA VDPAU

Last month NVIDIA brought PureVideo features to Linux through a new API they call the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix in their NVIDIA 180.xx driver. NVIDIA also provided a set of patches that enabled MPlayer to use this API that offloads video decoding and other tasks to the GPU. The formats supported by VDPAU are currently H.264, MPEG, WMV3, and VC-1...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Njg4Ng
    Great news ! too bad I've changed my 8600GT for HD4850, but I hope that 8.12 will bring something similar.

Anyway it's a very good thing for linux community.

Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."

I mean mplayer people should tell nvidia to GTFO with their patches unless they provide an open VDPAU driver. In this case it's even worse because it's the community that coded the support for it.
    Last edited by val-gaav; 11-29-2008 at 03:13 PM.

Default MythTV rocks

Already new this, but cool to read it on my fovorite news site

Quote Originally Posted by val-gaav View Post
    Sad news ... Community decided to implement this and support nvidia blob. That's clear signal for : " we do accept your blob, give it to us and do not care about foolish intel or ati that provides open drivers."
    It proves that people prefer working solutions instead of roadmaps and promises.

I mean mplayer people should tell nvidia to GTFO with their patches unless they provide an open VDPAU driver. In this case it's even worse because it's the community that coded the support for it.
    I don't care it's not open source. I just want it to be free (as in beer) and working good/stable.

Yeah Free Beer.

I'm just sorry i got suckered into buying a HD4870.

Nice. Is it possible to use MythTV in some sort of player-only mode? I'm not interested in the media center functionality.

Sad news ...
    Waaaaaaaah cry nVidia is providing something the community is not, shame on them. I care more for the 99% vs 1% battle of windows vs linux than the 0.99% vs 0.01% battle between working Linux and broken Linux. Working OSS > Working CSS > Broken OSS any day of the week. If you don't like it, ask bridgman for repo access and get hacking so I can get my working OSS, thankyouverymuch.

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Nice. Is it possible to use MythTV in some sort of player-only mode? I'm not interested in the media center functionality.
    Yes it is possible to use it with no pvr functions.