Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ipxipx View Post
    Have you guys ever considered the late UT3 linux client release being linked to the (earlier unknown) steam linux client release?
    Extremely doubtful as the binaries were to be used with the retail game.

Comment

But I ***think*** it ***could*** be possible - more and more games available on steam are being ported (Most recent example: World of goo)

Comment

I mean, there is no unified way of installing third party software on Linux and most graphics drivers are crap. Why'd Valve port Steam to Linux?

What I also find amusing is that when I play a windows game using wine, I can switch to my desktop by using ALT and TAB, but when I play a native game in fullscreen mode, say XMoto, I neither can switch to the desktop nor switch workplaces.

Comment

Have you guys ever considered the late UT3 linux client release being linked to the (earlier unknown) steam linux client release?
          There are like 400 full games available on Steam. Many have native clients for Linux already (outside Steam). UT3 is just another game.

I'd say there is a 0% chance UT3 Linux client is being delayed for a Steam Linux client.

In all probability, there probably isn't even a proper Steam client being worked on at all, let alone some coordinated effort to create a massive Linux launch event.

Comment

It was suggested a while back, but who knows. The theory that there are dams that will suddenly be broken with a torrent of sudden Linux support are interesting and all, but I sort of doubt it. There's no reason it shouldn't come in pieces. Why would UT3 want to wait for a Steam Linux client, piracy concerns maybe? If so that's dumb because it was released for Windows. I just don't see how you could justify releasing it for Windows but holding back the Linux client. Plus, the game is only getting older, releasing the Linux client at the same time the Windows client was released would have been the smartest time to do so in basically every way, but that boat has sailed.

Comment

Originally posted by pirast View Post
              I mean, there is no unified way of installing third party software on Linux and most graphics drivers are crap. Why'd Valve port Steam to Linux?

What I also find amusing is that when I play a windows game using wine, I can switch to my desktop by using ALT and TAB, but when I play a native game in fullscreen mode, say XMoto, I neither can switch to the desktop nor switch workplaces.
              I agree; This is the one thing that pisses me off about Linux gaming. However, there are a select few that actually implemented this feature. Savage 2 is one that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by pirast View Post

That was sorta random, but yes the full-screen problem has been an issue for a long time and unfortunately no one has done anything about it yet. Some kind of bailout hot keys of some sort are needed, agreed. Also users definitely shouldn't have to switch to a terminal, you shouldn't have to learn command line commands to kill a locked up full-screen app. I thought that Compiz was actually going to solve all that by basically providing a way to make even full-screened programs still "exist" as 2D desktop polygons basically but I dunno. :P

Graphics drivers aren't as good yep, but there are some that are fairly decent and the Linux users that do exist want games, so, there's your reason for them wanting to make games for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by KohlyKohl View Post
                  I agree; This is the one thing that pisses me off about Linux gaming. However, there are a select few that actually implemented this feature. Savage 2 is one that comes to mind.
                  But that's backwards. That is definitely a Windows-like failure that Linux should not implement. You should design things to be safe by default, not rely on code being "done correctly" in order to make your OS functional. You can't bank on every app a user wants to run as functioning 100% correctly all the time and never crashing, that's just dumb. X is great because for the most part, when an app crashes it doesn't lock up all of X, and you can simply end the program's process.

So in this case, X really needs to implement some kind of bailout safety keys that will always let you out of a program that has itself full-screened. The user and X should always be in control, not at the mercy of whether or not some game wants to implement easy full-screen switcharoosie features or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Slash View Post
                    let alone some coordinated effort to create a massive Linux launch event.
                    How dare you rain on Linux users' parade. But you're probably right of course. ^^

One can dream though.

Comment

if Steam client come to linux, I?d be glad back to buy games again lol.

This and some open-source ati drivers = win

Comment

Working...
                      X