Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Phoronix: Steam Client For Linux Confirmed

Earlier this year we shared that Valve's Source Engine is coming to Linux after receiving some information that pointed in this direction. In addition, a year ago Valve Software was publicly looking for a senior software engineer to port Windows-based games to Linux platform. There have long been rumors and hopes among Linux users that Steam games would become natively available for Linux, but we have additional confirmation that Valve Software has ported their Steam game client to Linux. In Valve's most recent title, Left 4 Dead, there are shared Linux libraries shipping alongside this Windows game client.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

weeee

This must be the best Linux Gaming news i have read all year!

Comment

This is great news!!! Oh I hope it's really true..

Comment

I really don't get the point, those files have been maybe forgotten to delete from the Win game, they have to be there for the dedicated server. I see no extra new file there, so what is new in that news? Hopefully the game is fun

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I really don't get the point, those files have been maybe forgotten to delete from the Win game, they have to be there for the dedicated server. I see no extra new file there, so what is new in that news? Hopefully the game is fun
          While that does make sense and could explain most of the filenames, but it doesn't explain steamclient_linux.so

Comment

That file is used by the dedicated server. Until somebody discovers a file which is _NOT_ used by the dedicated server you only can say that somebody forgot to clean those files from the win build, not more.

Comment

I just got all excited; if it turns out they're _not_ porting steam to linux at this point, I'm going to fricking cry.

If people feel they have to pay $1000 extra to buy a Mac, I have a feeling they'll not be in a mood to pay that much for legitimate versions of games. If the industry goes to Apple, these companies are SCREWED.

Comment

Great news if true. "Confirmed" probably isn't the right word for the article title though . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  That file is used by the dedicated server. Until somebody discovers a file which is _NOT_ used by the dedicated server you only can say that somebody forgot to clean those files from the win build, not more.
                  That's what I think too.

Comment

Dear God, I hope this is true! Although it looks like it might be, you never know, it might be some server files or something else.. Can't you contact someone at Steam, like that Alfred guy for example and confirm this?

Comment

Working...
                    X