Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    I tend to bash Mike for his valve news but

"An Engine update has broken GMod ", that means the actual game, not the server, there is no mention of the server in that blog.

"And Linux has FINALLY compiled.. phew! Working on the depot to ship to Valve now!"
    Read that carefully, servers for Linux would have already been out and compiled fine, he says "FINALLY" as if it's never been done aka the game engine itself.
    He deserves a bashing. Its one thing to report on what is believed to be credible news ( STEAM for Linux CONFIRMED, expected end of summer ) but then to stand by that statement A YEAR LATER when statements from Valve say "No linux client" just just screams inexperience.
    I am sure loads of linux-games dream of having STEAM for linux. its one thing to build peoples hopes up only to have them let down. Its completely different to insist its all good "see see I told you, people didn't believe me". News Flash alot changes in a year. In under a year DNF was cancelled, sold, terminated and relaunched. Anyone making a statement speculating what would happen to DNF would have hit the nail on the head last year simply because a year is a long time....

Holding onto one statement for over a year when soo much has change is just desparate.

Also it has already been confirmed by GaryMod it was serverCode (he even laughed that people actually think there is HL2 for linux).
    Also the changes that has occured is todo with PS3 & Portal3 release

Comment

• Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
      "An Engine update has broken GMod ", that means the actual game, not the server, there is no mention of the server in that blog.
      Oh how wrong you are server portions use the engine as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
        Also it has already been confirmed by GaryMod it was serverCode (he even laughed that people actually think there is HL2 for linux).
        Yup and I quote

You guys are stupid if you think that GMod is coming out for Linux.. Linux doesn't even have HL2.. or Steam. I was compiling the server.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Steam Client For Linux Confirmed
          11-29-2008

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
            Its (sic) one thing to report on what is believed to be credible news ... but then to stand by that statement A YEAR LATER when statements from Valve say "No linux client" just just screams inexperience.
            Well, that's not quite what Valve said. They said there was no client that they were working on right now (emphasis mine). They didn't slap the rumor off the table and pee on it as you would seem to suggest.

Further, the tone Michael's writing on the subject takes makes me think there may be something to it. I would expect someone who was just making speculation to have rescinded his claims by now. But that's not what we're seeing. Not a week ago, we were told that Source/Steam wasn't running well on Mesa drivers and had framerate issues (if I remember correctly).

Now tell me if you would (and I'd seriously like to know - all kidding aside) how can we be certain that Michael is not privy to some serious insider info and/or is under some kind of NDA?

Holding onto one statement for over a year when soo much has change is just desparate (sic).
            How is this any different than what you're doing? As you said, a lot can happen in a year. (But I know I've been watching you gripe about this for the last 9 months and THAT hasn't changed.) It's been said here on the Phoronix forums that even if Valve made an announcement next week, Michael is still a sorry SOB for hanging onto this story for so long and it wouldn't mean his report was anything more than luck. It could be argued that this is precisely what you're doing right now, but from the other end.

You might point to evidence at this point such as the aforementioned denial by Valve. Then Phoronix can point to the code base and the rudimentary implementation of Steam under active development before disappearing from the servers in an obvious manner. They can also point to Linux references in the Mac client. I find these arguments, along with Michael's resolute insistence, to be quite compelling.

Do you have insider info that it's not coming and it never will? If you work at Valve I'm willing to join your side of the argument and take what you say at face value.

Also the changes that has occured is todo with PS3 & Portal3 release
            Yeah, and he's a dick. However this server thing wasn't obvious from his original posting. And if you check carefully, Phoronix reported that it might have been server code. Why are you so shitfire mean about this? It's like you take it personally or something.

Portal 3? (Oh the irony!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Larian View Post
              Yeah, and he's a dick. However this server thing wasn't obvious from his original posting. And if you check carefully, Phoronix reported that it might have been server code. Why are you so shitfire mean about this? It's like you take it personally or something.
              I think the people asking him all those questions were being kind of silly. Phoronix was clear that it only "looked like" G-Mod was coming to Linux based on some of Garry's unclear posts. You can actually go back through the article and read where Michael was just sort of investigating the topic. He wasn't definitively saying anything other than he thinks steam games are coming to linux

Comment

• This isn't exactly any big deal but apparently Portal 2 has references to linux in their shell scripts for osx.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

This has already been seen in L4D if I'm not mistaken, so no big deal.

Comment

Working...
                X