Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSuSE 11.1 Release Candidate 1

Phoronix: OpenSuSE 11.1 Release Candidate 1

Three weeks prior to the expected availability of OpenSuSE 11.1, the first release candidate is now out for testing. New packages in OpenSuSE 11.1 RC1 include the Linux 2.6.27.7 kernel, glibc 2.9, new translations, Amaraok 2.0 Release Candidate 1, and Zypper 1.0.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a complete mayhem to get ATI drivers to work there (Except RadeonHD, it works nicely).

You can get FGLRX to run, but then the system gets unstable. (Besides I can't run OpenGL apps even with compiz/kwin disabled)

Comment

I started using it at the Beta 4 stage and I love it. I've had many bad experiences with SUSE but 11.1 seems to be fast, responsive, pretty and very stable. I'm very impressed, will stick with it.. at least until Sidux adopts KDE 4

Personal aside: On my system it's been much more stable since beta stages than both Fedora 10 and Kubuntu 8.10.

Comment

Michael: I alredy mailed you about that. It's openSUSE, not OpenSuSE.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
          Yes Zajec is right, it is openSUSE.

openSUSE is one of the best, or maybe the best KDE distribution out there. Like Rahux has said, Kubuntu doesn't make a good job with KDE, but that is Canonical fault.

btw, openSUSE is so nice...

I'm waiting to the stable release on 18. Dic.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
            He is just old school like me. For me it will always be SuSE.

Comment

I loves me some openSUSE. Even in the dark days of 10.0 and 10.1, I still found plenty of it to love.

I've got Kubuntu on my Aspire One. Gotta say, I hate it. It's slow, it's buggy, it gets unresponsive at times, blah. And it's not just the KDE4 stuff. Somehow even the base system (read: boot up, nfs, and the like) runs slower on this than it did on normal Ubuntu. But I don't like Gnome. And I don't feel like spending time to make a USB stick out of something UNetBootin doesn't support (no mandriva 2009 yet? really?).

openSUSE, on the other hand. This is the stuff. Been running it since Beta4 on my main rig, and it's so good. KDE4 integration is top notch. Everything seems snappy, responsive, and stable. Zypper is much improved (making me seriously question what the big deal is about apt-get). The fingerprint reader in my Thinkpad Just Works.

I loved this distro until I broke it. Somewhere between the 4.2 snapshot repo and setting up to compile /trunk from subversion, I broke my login manager, fingerprint reader, and removable device permissions. Whoops.

Ah well. The distro goes gold next week, so I'll just start fresh. And once it's final, I'm definitely going to throw it on a USB stick and see how it does on the Aspire. They've always had good, clean init scripts. Should be a perfect match for the Atom.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
                I loves me some openSUSE. Even in the dark days of 10.0 and 10.1, I still found plenty of it to love.

I've got Kubuntu on my Aspire One. Gotta say, I hate it. It's slow, it's buggy, it gets unresponsive at times, blah. And it's not just the KDE4 stuff. Somehow even the base system (read: boot up, nfs, and the like) runs slower on this than it did on normal Ubuntu. But I don't like Gnome. And I don't feel like spending time to make a USB stick out of something UNetBootin doesn't support (no mandriva 2009 yet? really?).

openSUSE, on the other hand. This is the stuff. Been running it since Beta4 on my main rig, and it's so good. KDE4 integration is top notch. Everything seems snappy, responsive, and stable. Zypper is much improved (making me seriously question what the big deal is about apt-get). The fingerprint reader in my Thinkpad Just Works.

I loved this distro until I broke it. Somewhere between the 4.2 snapshot repo and setting up to compile /trunk from subversion, I broke my login manager, fingerprint reader, and removable device permissions. Whoops.

Ah well. The distro goes gold next week, so I'll just start fresh. And once it's final, I'm definitely going to throw it on a USB stick and see how it does on the Aspire. They've always had good, clean init scripts. Should be a perfect match for the Atom.

You can download the final already on this mirror in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  You can download the final already on this mirror in this thread.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14363
                  That's the best news I've gotten all day. And today was my last day of classes for the semester!

Comment

Working...
                  X