fixing underscan might crash X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peruna View Post
    It should be noted that S?der's fix only works with Catalyst 9.1 and older. And I would assume that it crashes if you try to change frequency on the fly using xrandr (for example "xrandr -r 50" or what ever is available on your TV).

I myself want to watch 24p movies with 24Hz mode, but still have 60Hz when I do something else.

Yet S?der's fix probably is sufficient for many. So thanks!
    That workd for now for me. You saying that
    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
    aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720

are not working in the Cat 9.2?

What the fuck are ATI doing? First the screw up the aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0 and now this.

How are we gonne compensate for the underscan there shitty drivers cause.....

/S?der

Comment

Yep, setting those values in 9.2 just causes error message telling that they can not be used with used input (which is tmds2i for me).

At least bridgman said in other thread that this is a real issue that needs to be fixed. I have been waiting for fix since 8.11 broke DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0.

Comment

Originally posted by Peruna View Post
        Yep, setting those values in 9.2 just causes error message telling that they can not be used with used input (which is tmds2i for me).

At least bridgman said in other thread that this is a real issue that needs to be fixed. I have been waiting for fix since 8.11 broke DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0.
        Oh, so that was allready broken in 8.11..?

I used the 8.552 or something from the normal installation+upgrade in Ubuntu 8.10 before this 9.1

Maybe better to go back to the that version again if ATI cant do better.

Dont know if I have something to win with the newer drivers since I only use it for XBMC.

/S?der

Comment

Originally posted by soder View Post
          That workd for now for me. You saying that
          aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
          aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720

are not working in the Cat 9.2?

What the fuck are ATI doing? First the screw up the aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0 and now this.

How are we gonne compensate for the underscan there shitty drivers cause.....

/S?der
          Not sure if this will help, but when I ran those commands (only did it one time cause this work around for the underscan sucks) I had to use positionx, positiony, sizex and sizey, not the capital X, Y. If I used capital it said value not supported by my monitor or outside allowable range.

Comment

Hi,

After hours of Internet researches to solve the underscanning issue (HD3200 chip), I was happy with aticonfig fix, despite the fact of having to reset the ati dafaults upon reboot.

A few days ago Fedora 10 upgraded to version 9.2 and aticonfig now refuses to change position and size, as stated above:

Code:
             Try to Set positionX adjust of monitor tmds2i value : 0 failed.
             It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range.
            Is there a fix planned soon ?

Why does fglrx underscans whereas ati does not (I checked the modeline they are the same with both drivers, consistant with EDID data sent my the Samsung TV) ?

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mrechte View Post
              Hi,

After hours of Internet researches to solve the underscanning issue (HD3200 chip), I was happy with aticonfig fix, despite the fact of having to reset the ati dafaults upon reboot.

A few days ago Fedora 10 upgraded to version 9.2 and aticonfig now refuses to change position and size, as stated above:

Code:
               Try to Set positionX adjust of monitor tmds2i value : 0 failed.
               It may not supported by monitor or the value beyond the range.
              Is there a fix planned soon ?

Why does fglrx underscans whereas ati does not (I checked the modeline they are the same with both drivers, consistant with EDID data sent my the Samsung TV) ?

Many thanks
              Did you look at the post right above your post from me? It basically tells you what to do.

Comment

For me it makes no difference whether I use capital X and Y or not.

It prints exactly the same error message.

This is with 9.2 x64 and tmds2i connection.

Comment

Capital or or not does not change anything for me either.

Comment

What are you all users with hd3200 doing now? Staying on 9.1 and using the scripts, or staying at 8.x and uses the UNDERSCAN_0 option?

All I want is to run XBMC as good as possible, and with no underscan.

Im getting tired of my script. I cant use suspend, cause when the htpc wake up theres no screen. I also cant boot the htpc without turning my TV on first...

=(

/S?der

Comment

Originally posted by soder View Post
                      What are you all users with hd3200 doing now? Staying on 9.1 and using the scripts, or staying at 8.x and uses the UNDERSCAN_0 option?
                      For me, I fixed the problem in 8.12 (might have been 9.1 or 8.11, I really don't recall) by running:

Code:
                      aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
                      and, I believe something was recorded in my grapchics BIOS, since once I upgraded I've never had a ******d up scan on my TV since. I believe the above doesn't record anything into amdbcsdb, but the

Code:
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1920
                      aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:1080
                      on the other hand, does, and locks up the Xorg at the next start. So, if you get a hang system at X.org start, make sure you delete the amdpcsdb (or move it away) while X.org is not running to make sure you start clean (the file gets written again at every X.org exit so deleting it while X.org is running will not work).

Oh, and I using:
                      • Gentoo
                      • Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (with the builtin 780G integrated HD3200)
                      • Catalyst 9.2 currently

Hope this helps someone =)
                      Last edited by Mr. Hilarious; 23 March 2009, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X