fixing underscan might crash X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing underscan might crash X

The latest (8.11) Fglrx drivers are underscanning with my FullHD TV, but only with 60 and 50Hz. Frequencies 30, 25 and 24 are working as they should.

Now I can use aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0 ...sizeX:1920 ...positionY:0 ...sizeY=1080 to fix underscan with 60 and 50Hz.

That would be fine (since those settings will be saved to amdpcsdb), but if I have set those attributes and I change frequency to those lower ones my X crashes (or propably Fglrx drivers).

And since current Fglrx drivers also save used mode to amdpcsdb, X crashes on all reboots (until I modify amdpcsdb to 60Hz mode or remove position and size attributes).

My guess is that "Display scaling to HDTV timings/resolutions." is not working correctly if I have set attributes manually and it does not work with 60 and 50Hz modes (at least on my Toshiba TV).

Is there a way to disable automatic scaling or is this issue going to be fixed anytime soon?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 (amd64).

Originally posted by Peruna View Post
    Now I can use aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0 ...sizeX:1920 ...positionY:0 ...sizeY=1080 to fix underscan with 60 and 50Hz..
    FYI that is not the recommended solution for underscan. Can you try the solution Matthew posted ?

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...6734#post36734
    Last edited by bridgman; 27 November 2008, 01:46 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

not helping...

If you see the next message after MTippet message, you can see that I answered that and told that it worked. Unfortunately it does absolutely nothing with 8.11 version (it worked in every version before that).

That's why I decided to try the old solution.

Comment

OK, I'll ask around and see if I can find out what changed...
        Test signature

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate it.

On basic use this is not a bad issue since this is my media pc and I rather keep default rate as 25Hz since that's correct for rate when I watch TV. Unfortunately rate resets to 60Hz when it stops sending signal (but running xset dpms force standby|suspend|off does not reset frequency to 60, even though they all stop signaling).

That is one thing that would be nice to be "fixed". Returning to the same frequency that was before stopping signal.

Comment

Am I really the only one who is having this issue?

I tried new 8.12 version and it seems to be bit worse than 8.11 since 25 Hz is also having black bars. Now only 30Hz and 24Hz seems to fill the full screen. This is very irritating because it seems that there is no way to fix this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Peruna View Post
              Am I really the only one who is having this issue?

I tried new 8.12 version and it seems to be bit worse than 8.11 since 25 Hz is also having black bars. Now only 30Hz and 24Hz seems to fill the full screen. This is very irritating because it seems that there is no way to fix this problem.
              No, you are not the only one. I have the same problem unsolved, and know several people in the same shoes.

So I am also very interested in a possible solution/ workaround/ bugfix.

Comment

Originally posted by olympia View Post
                No, you are not the only one. I have the same problem unsolved, and know several people in the same shoes.

So I am also very interested in a possible solution/ workaround/ bugfix.
                please count me, my toshibaTV (46"), 2600HD, same problem, very boring. i had hope the 8.12 would be nice than 8.11....

Comment

I'm having exact the same problem with fglrx 8.12! Is there any solution yet?

Comment

9.1 has even more problems

OK, once again I need to put this thread on top.

New 9.1 version of drivers managed to break next working frequency (24Hz). 30Hz is still working and not causing black borders (just like on previous version). I really don't understand how hard this can be since on every new version of drivers one new frequency has broken.

"aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0" does nothing.

Bridgman promised to ask about this and maybe he did, but no solution seems to be available. This issue seems to be available with more people than just me (this is not the only thread that talked about this) so should this at least be listed on the issue list on release notes?

I guess that 9.2 will break even the last 30Hz mode.

Comment

Working...
                    X