X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just test the leaked 9-2

Comment

I asked, but asking is not the same as making a solution appear instantly

The initial answer surprised me a bit -- apparently we *are* enabling underscan in VBIOS, not just in the driver, so I need to talk to a lot *more* people to find out the full story ;(
      Test signature

Comment

Thanks for your reply. My message was not too well written as I did not expect actual solution but some info that this issue somehow registered by developers.

I did know (or guessed) that underscan is enabled before drivers as I have noticed that black borders are visible in boot process (and even when BIOS shows up). It would be nice if underscanning can be removed from there too, but it is not really important.

I haven't tested with this new driver will system crash if I manually set the coordinates with "aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0 ...sizeX:1920 ...positionY:0 ...sizeY=1080" and then change frequency. That would be acceptable temporary solution. Temporary because these settings need to be resetted every time I change frequency (if that hasn't changed).

Comment

Time for another Catalyst version... 9.2...

Funnily that last working frequency (30Hz) also has black borders. Just as I assumed. DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan is not helping either as anyone could have guessed.

That "set-dispattr PositionX" etc. seems to be disabled for tmds2i. That maybe better since it only caused crashing on 9.1.

Is that DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan working for anyone anymore? If not, maybe ATI could check what broke it and do something about it...

Yet I want to add something positive too and I want to say that this 9.2 seems to be very fast. XV is not working too well, but I can actually watch FullHD video using OpenGL (with vsync) quite well. Also the MythTV fullscreen bug is fixed at last.

I find it more important that you fix current issues from drivers than add new features and this 9.2 seemed to do that for some problems. Best version ever (even with this stupid and irritating "black borders" issue).

Comment

Originally posted by Peruna View Post
            Time for another Catalyst version... 9.2...

Funnily that last working frequency (30Hz) also has black borders. Just as I assumed. DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan is not helping either as anyone could have guessed.

That "set-dispattr PositionX" etc. seems to be disabled for tmds2i. That maybe better since it only caused crashing on 9.1.

Is that DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan working for anyone anymore? If not, maybe ATI could check what broke it and do something about it...

Yet I want to add something positive too and I want to say that this 9.2 seems to be very fast. XV is not working too well, but I can actually watch FullHD video using OpenGL (with vsync) quite well. Also the MythTV fullscreen bug is fixed at last.

I find it more important that you fix current issues from drivers than add new features and this 9.2 seemed to do that for some problems. Best version ever (even with this stupid and irritating "black borders" issue).
            I was hoping that the Cat 9.2 had fixed the "aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0"-problem, but appairently not..

Im now running a script at bootup in cat 9.1 that remove the "old" amdpcsdb and copy and default one, and then runs the
            "aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
            aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0
            aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
            aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720 "

This works, but are not the right way to go..

Damned ATI fucking with the underscan....

/S?der

Comment

May you give us your script (specially how to create a default amdpcsdb)?

Bibi

Comment

The default file is automatically used at startup when no amdpcsdb is existing. That is: the file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.default is simply copied over to /etc/ati/amdpcsdb if the file is not available when starting xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
                  May you give us your script (specially how to create a default amdpcsdb)?

Bibi
                  1. Make your changes in CCC and save

2. cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.working

3. Create /etc/init.d/amdpcsdb-recover.sh with this content:
                  #!/bin/bash
                  cp /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.working /etc/ati/amdpcsdb

4. chmod +x /etc/init.d/amdpcsdb-recover.sh

5. ln -s /etc/init.d/amdpcsdb-recover.sh /etc/rcS.d/S50amdpcsdb-recover.sh

6: Create atiunderscan.sh with following content (make changes for your TV):
                  #!/bin/bash
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1280
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:0
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:720
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:0

7. chmod +x atiunderscan.sh

8 Add "sh /path/to/atiunderscan.sh" in autostart under Preferenes > Sessions in Gnome.

9. Reboot

/S?der

Comment

It should be noted that S?der's fix only works with Catalyst 9.1 and older. And I would assume that it crashes if you try to change frequency on the fly using xrandr (for example "xrandr -r 50" or what ever is available on your TV).

I myself want to watch 24p movies with 24Hz mode, but still have 60Hz when I do something else.

Yet S?der's fix probably is sufficient for many. So thanks!

Comment

Thank you , i'll try it tonight with 9.2.

Comment

Working...
                      X