Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.2 Beta 1 Desktop Released

The KDE development community has banded together and today released an early Christmas present to those using the K Desktop Environment on Linux and other operating systems. The first beta release of KDE 4.2 is now available. KDE 4.2 Beta 1 features a large number of improvements since the release of KDE 4.1 in July.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OOH-- I may seem shallow, but that desktop background thing is what I'm looking for in a DE.
    Make it able to do screensavers, videos, and arbitrary application windows OOTB and come 9.04, you've got yourself an addict.

Comment

Hey.

They're getting tricky now. Is KDE 4.2 Beta 1 allowed to end-user usage or no?

Comment

It is a test version, so I don't think it's made for end-users

I am installing KDE 4.2 Beta 1 atm, looks nice.

Comment

I've been exploring this beta for about an hour and so far I like it a lot. A giant step forward from KDE 4.1. KDE developers are bringing in some cool features. This beta is not yet for end-use, but if you can developers would definitely be very grateful if you could test it and report bugs so they can polish it even more. When the final version gets out it will rock. Can't wait to see the new series of Linux distros that will come with this version of KDE.

Comment

I just tried the LiveCD and it did little but crash, just like Kubuntu 8.10, albeit a little more gracefully, if that's possible.

Still looking forward to 9.04 though, hopefully it'll work better..

Comment

Heh that desktop background thing is certainly nothing new. X has always been able to support applications as backgrounds, it's just that the DEs haven't allowed you to configure it. It's nothing special when you think about it, just an "always on bottom" application that you can't click on.

Comment

KDE 4.2 rocks KDE 4.2 with desktop effects rocks ^ 2

Comment

Yay!!! I'm so happy!

Comment

Waiting backport for Kubuntu Intrepid.. (if there will be one) %))

Comment

Working...
                    X