Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 8.11 and Radeon 9600/9700 (R300)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Well you can compile another kernel for testing. Maybe 2.6.26 series or get one older 2.6.24 from hardy (don't forget the 2 header packages).
    So FGLRX needs PAE now? Even if I don't have 4 Gigs of RAM? Why?

I mean, my CPU supports it but currently, I am using Ubuntu's Generic Kernel which seems to be compiled without PAE.

Comment

No you don't need PAE, but that would be an easy test to try the other kernel. Now just fetch another one.

Comment

If you want you can try installing those 3 debs:

That's 2.6.28 from jaunty git - just without the -ub marker which is normally in the next jaunty kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuru View Post
          Has anyone been able to run Catalyst 8.11 drivers on a Radeon 9600/9700 based machine yet? So far all my attempts with Ubuntu 8.11 and Gentoo have failed at module load time with errors like this:
          Code:
          [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 928 MBytes.
          [fglrx:drm_alloc] *ERROR* [driver] Allocating 0 bytes
          [fglrx:firegl_init_device_list] *ERROR* Out of memory when allocating device 
          heads
          [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_init_devices failed
          I have read that issues with the AGP bus is causing it. Have there been any new developments on this front?
          I have the same problem with Catalyst 8.11 on a Radeon Mobility 9700 on a 64-bit CPU (Athlon 64 3000+).

I hope this will be fixed in 8.12. Does ATI know of this problem?

Comment

same problem here with 8.11 on a thinkpad t42 Mobility 9600.

32-bit 2.6.26 kernel, 2GiB RAM, no PAE

Comment

Missing IDs

Same problem with 8.11 and Mobility Radeon 9700.
              My device id (1002:4e50) is not included in driver header file fglrxko_pci_ids.h and in xorg driver fglrx_drv.so
              I think AMD have missed same device id during driver compilation.

Comment

Well when you add it (to the h) manually it would run too. Just with a logo in the corner, but with help of an older driver (or from another install the /etc/ati dir) you can avoid that.

Comment

8.12 is out and still not working for me. Thank you, ATI.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                    8.12 is out and still not working for me. Thank you, ATI.
                    Do you get the same errors with 8.12?

Just so I get this straight, R300 support is broken in 8.11 and 8.12.

Comment

Originally posted by suacy View Post
                      Just so I get this straight, R300 support is broken in 8.11 and 8.12.
                      Not for me. I've got an AGP 9600 card going on my secondary comp without problems, while on my main one I've upgraded my old R300 card (x550 PCIe) to an HD 4650. The only real problems I face are some opengl regressions causing more corruption in wine games and also a native game: tileracer. (with 8.12)

For me the 9600 and fglrx, works quite well infact. I use 8.11 at the moment on it since 8.12 regressed some of my stuff , but 8.12 works fine otherwise

Comment

Working...
                      X