Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 8.11 and Radeon 9600/9700 (R300)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 8.11 and Radeon 9600/9700 (R300)

Has anyone been able to run Catalyst 8.11 drivers on a Radeon 9600/9700 based machine yet? So far all my attempts with Ubuntu 8.11 and Gentoo have failed at module load time with errors like this:
    Code:
    [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 928 MBytes.
    [fglrx:drm_alloc] *ERROR* [driver] Allocating 0 bytes
    [fglrx:firegl_init_device_list] *ERROR* Out of memory when allocating device 
    heads
    [fglrx:firegl_init_module] *ERROR* firegl_init_devices failed
    I have read that issues with the AGP bus is causing it. Have there been any new developments on this front?

How much memory do you use? 32 or 64 bit? PAE enabled kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      How much memory do you use? 32 or 64 bit? PAE enabled kernel?
      I'm on a 512 MB laptop 32-bit pentium-m. I'm not sure if PAE is enabled or not, it's the stock ubuntu intrepid kernel.

Comment

As mentioned in other threads, I've got the same problem. Hardware is a Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64MB. I'm running 32 Bit Ubuntu Intrepid with its standard kernel.

The problem appeared in the 8.10-Ubuntu-Special-Edition of fglrx and was not fixed in 8.11 (official installer).

Comment

Well some old Pentium M do not support pae, check

grep pae /proc/cpuinfo

If it does you can try the server kernel in the repository and see if it makes any difference.
          Last edited by Kano; 25 November 2008, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Well some old Pentium M do not support pae, check

grep pae /proc/cmdline
            I assume you meant /proc/cpuinfo... Either way PAE is not available. It appears I got a Dothan just before the 533 MHz bus w/ PAE enabled. Do the Catalyst drivers require PAE?

Comment

Yes, i meant that. Well it does not require it, it was just an option to try. My RV410 still runs with fglrx, not really optimal, but i can at least debug the fglrx packageing

Comment

I see the RV410 also runs on PCI-E bus...sigh. Maybe it's time to play TAPS and just move on.

Comment

@Kano

i have same problem, ati mobility 9700 on ubuntu intrepid 8.10 (768 mb ram, 32 bit, pentium-M dothan)

grep pae /proc/cpuinfo -> nothing, cpu doesn't support PAE

Comment

Well you can compile another kernel for testing. Maybe 2.6.26 series or get one older 2.6.24 from hardy (don't forget the 2 header packages).

Comment

Working...
                    X