No announcement yet.

How to Catalyst 8.11 on Ubuntu 8.10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well maybe it does. At least you can use my script now too - it also automatically restarts X and unloads the old modules. With enough ram you can use it even in live mode.

Comment

@Kano 10x for the script it works for me but after i restart my laptop

Comment

Well fglrx somehow stupid, especially when switching from ati to fglrx then you can get a hardlock. If you know that this will happen use -z option and reboot manually. Switching between fglrx drivers usually does not lock the system.

Comment

Thanks for the script Kano, worked great for me

Comment

doesn't work with 9700 mobility on intrepid

sudo modprobe -v fglrx
            FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.27-10-generic/updates/dkms/fglrx.ko): Cannot allocate memory

Xorg.0.log

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
            (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
            (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Version Identifier:8.55.2
            (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Release Identifier: UNSUPPORTED-8.552
            (II) ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Build Date: Oct 28 2008 21:22:33
            (WW) This ATI Proprietary Linux Driver does not guarantee support of video driver ABI higher than 2.0
            (WW) Video driver ABI version of the X server is 4.1
            (--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
            (EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
            no screens found

Comment

The new script worked perfectly for me. Thanks for the help!

Comment

No problem, it took a bit time to discover what was going on wrong, but then it was easy. I am used to fix ati packageing faults or adding extra kernel hotfixes - you see that when you look at the size of the script Saidly I can not fix the driver itself. Try nexuiz and change res inside the game for example...

Comment

I had success with Kano's script, fglrx is installed and working on 8.10 kubuntu, the process takes a fair bit of time on satelite.

Comment

Perfect Script!! Amd should Hire you kano!

Just run it and everything is done for you... I'm... gratefull

Comment

I'm having a very odd problem. I've got a fresh install of Intrepid, and I've attempted to install the new Catalysts with both this script and the standard ATI installation script. I can get both to work correctly after the first reboot. However, after I reboot again the machine crashes hard and falls to a blank screen when X tries to start. The module seems to be loaded correctly. The log is basically the same as the one posted earlier that ends with "(EE) No devices detected." Between reboots I'm doing nothing other than a glxinfo | grep render to make sure things are working. Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                      X