How to Catalyst 8.11 on Ubuntu 8.10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Catalyst 8.11 on Ubuntu 8.10?

Can someone please inform me on whether it's currently possible to install Catalyst 8.11 on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10?

The comments that I've seen on the forum don't inspire confidence. Is the driver still fundamentally "broken" on Xorg 7.4 / Xserver 1.5.2?

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Just run my script:

In case of problems post

/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Just run my script:

In case of problems post

/etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log
      Unfortunately, I never even got as far as X failing to start up. The script somehow failed to create the deb packages at all. I saved a log of the script's output, though:

error.log

Comment

Hi Kano,
        what exactly does that script do? It seems atleast to patch something (kernel?)...

Ubuntu, debian and kanotix is mentioned alot, but will this work on kubuntu 64bit?
        Last edited by conholster; 23 November 2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I used the restricted module installer from the desktop. You have to wait for the driver to download and the installer my vanish or seem like it crapped out on the download, but it should still be going. Check in /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/ and there should be where the driver is downloading, once it moves up to /var/cache/apt/archives it will install (or maybe not, can't remember) or you just start up the driver manager again and activate it again and it will install. Works fine from fresh install of Ubuntu 8.10, but the restricted driver installer thing is flaky.

Edit: Making own thread for own problem instead of hijacking this one.
          Last edited by slikster; 23 November 2008, 07:56 PM.

Comment

@Ostsol

Well it seems i have to install U 8.10 then - I wanted to avoid that I guess there is still a tiny fault in the packageing. The problem is my test system has got only 1 GB ram and in live mode thats too few memory for running my script... My nvidia script definitely runs fine there. Will tell you when it is done.

Comment

Re: Kano

Much appreciated.

Comment

I used the default installer and it work fine.

Comment

Well now the script is fixed, the patch is much bigger than before, because it changes a few files more. Also it adds a divert for libglx.so, which is only in the xorg 7.4 dir. The default installer works, but it does not use dkms.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    The default installer works, but it does not use dkms.
                    It says it is using it when it's installing the kernel module. Lies!!! ... ?

Comment

Working...
                    X