How to Catalyst 8.11 on Ubuntu 8.10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kano,

Your script worked like a charm to install the driver, which is great.

What doesn't make sense is why the xorg.conf file the script creates has the following in the Device section:

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    	Driver      "fglrx"
    	Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
    	Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"
    	Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
    	Option      "MonitorLayout" "LVDS, AUTO"
    	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    EndSection
    VideoOverlay is only applicable to the pre-R500 cards, it is replaced by TexturedVideo in the later cards. Also, the AGPGART option only applies to AGP cards, and OpenGLOverlay is disabled by default.

Why not just have the script run a standard sudo aticonfig -f --initial to create a standard default configuration? Recent fglrx versions have ceased to use xorg.conf as the primary configuration file anyway, it's all done in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb now.

Fill me in, if there's something that I'm missing?

Comment

Well the script is older than you might think. Maybe I disalbe the 2 Overlay options. But I never tested something newer than RV410 and usually nobody reported errors with those settings. A clever driver would ignore those options anyway if the hardware is not there. aticonfig creates absolutely stupid looking xorg.conf files and also segfaults from time to time. The /etc/ati dir is of course cleaned before driver install.

Comment

This version of fgrx does not play nicely with the EDID modes reported by my HTPC's display, which is a Westinghouse 37" monitor. This is true of both Catalyst 8.10 (ubuntu provided) and the Catalyst 8.11 installed by the script.

The radeon driver works perfectly and displays flawless 1920x1080, while fglrx refuses to display at all, it fails with "no screens found" and won't even display text modes properly.

Unfortunately, when I tried to roll back to the radeon driver, I discovered that YOUR SCRIPT HAD UNINSTALLED IT.

This was incredibly frustrating, because I had to reinstall the radeon and ati (wrapper) drivers manually from Tormod Volden's PPA, as well as reinstall and reconfigure Mesa. There is no reason to uninstall these! Why does your script do this?
        Last edited by Porter; 07 December 2008, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Nope, it did not uninstall radeon. You just have to correctly switch back. You have to do 3 things:

a) sudo apt-get remove --purge $(dpkg -l|cut -f3 -d' '|grep -e fglrx -e libamdxvba)
          b1) mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pure /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          b2) if there is no xorg.conf.pure: mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf.1st /etc/X11/xorg.conf
          c) reboot or shutdown X, rmmod fglrx; start X.

Comment

Similar Error with radeon hd 4350

Originally posted by Porter View Post
            This version of fgrx does not play nicely with the EDID modes reported by my HTPC's display, which is a Westinghouse 37" monitor. This is true of both Catalyst 8.10 (ubuntu provided) and the Catalyst 8.11 installed by the script.

The radeon driver works perfectly and displays flawless 1920x1080, while fglrx refuses to display at all, it fails with "no screens found" and won't even display text modes properly.

Unfortunately, when I tried to roll back to the radeon driver, I discovered that YOUR SCRIPT HAD UNINSTALLED IT.

This was incredibly frustrating, because I had to reinstall the radeon and ati (wrapper) drivers manually from Tormod Volden's PPA, as well as reinstall and reconfigure Mesa. There is no reason to uninstall these! Why does your script do this?
            I am getting the exact same error as above. BUT... Without the FGLRX driver video acelleration will not work. I am thinking of trying the radeon hd drivers, as they might support it.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
              I am getting the exact same error as above. BUT... Without the FGLRX driver video acelleration will not work. I am thinking of trying the radeon hd drivers, as they might support it.
              You're using an R5xx or newer card?

Video acceleration works with the radeon driver on recent cards if you install the latest version from Tormod Volden's PPA, and specify EXA as the render method in xorg.conf. Once you do that, Xv acceleration should work.

Assuming you are running Ubuntu, install the latest latest (non debug) video-ati and video-radeon packages from http://ppa.launchpad.net/tormodvolde...org-video-ati/

Comment

Working...
              X