Asus 4850 runs really hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus 4850 runs really hot

Is it OK that my card's temperature is usually above 80 C even if the card is idle?

GFX Card: PCI-E 512МБ ASUS "EAH4850/HTDI" (Radeon HD 4850, DDR3, 2xDVI, TV)
    Driver: Catalyst 8.11
    Kernel: 2.6.24.7-server-2mnb

Code:
    [vuohi@mandriva /]$ aticonfig --od-getclocks

Default Adapter - ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
                                Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
               Current Clocks :    500           750
                 Current Peak :    625           993
      Configurable Peak Range : [500-700]     [750-1200]
                     GPU load :    0%
    Code:
    [vuohi@mandriva /]$ aticonfig --od-gettemperature

Sensor 0: Temperature - 81.00 C
    And after 10 minutes of running Newspaper Puzzle Challenge (just for example) under wine I get

Code:
    [vuohi@mandriva /]$ aticonfig --od-getclocks

Core (MHz)    Memory (MHz)
               Current Clocks :    625           993
                 Current Peak :    625           993
      Configurable Peak Range : [500-700]     [750-1200]
                     GPU load :    29%
    Code:
    [vuohi@mandriva /]$ aticonfig --od-gettemperature

Sensor 0: Temperature - 86.00 C

According to this thread, it looks like ATI decided to favor a lower fan speed over lower temperatures... Does forcing a higher fan speed help? I've never really played with amdcccle so I'm not sure if that's possible or not.
    Firewing1

Comment

Originally posted by firewing1 View Post
      Does forcing a higher fan speed help? I've never really played with amdcccle so I'm not sure if that's possible or not.
      Thanx for your advice. :-) I haven't found any way to control the fan speed yet but maybe I'll find the solution in Google later.

Comment

With newer versions of the Catalyst drivers, it is fairly straightforward to adjust your card's fan speed.

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 <fan speed %>'

for example:

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 50'

will set your Radeon fan to rotate at 50% of its maximum speed. In my system, 50% is enough to keep the temperature arround 48/51 C. Higher speeds will lower the temperature even more, but at the cost of much more noise. The only issue that I have to complain about is that I can only set the fan speed of my first card (I have two HD 4850 in my system). If I try to use the pplib-cmd's command with aticonfig passing 1 as the first argument ( aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 1 50' ), that was suposed to adjust the fan speed of the second card), it replies with an error reporting that the command failed. I would be very happy if someone has been successful in adjusting the fan speed for the second card

Comment

Originally posted by pflynn View Post
          In my system, 50% is enough to keep the temperature arround 48/51 C.
          I get 59-61 C with 50% but still it's much better than 80+ C. Thanx for your help

Comment

You can also modify the BIOS of the card to still have dynamic fan speed with the help of RBE (in Windows). I've done it to decrease the speed of the fan on my card (since mine originally shifted between low and medium speed somewhere below 60C). This voids warranty if something goes wrong though. (Keep a backup of the original so that you can flash back.)

Comment

Originally posted by pflynn View Post
              With newer versions of the Catalyst drivers, it is fairly straightforward to adjust your card's fan speed.

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 <fan speed %>'

for example:

$ aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 50'

[snip] ... [snip]
              unfortunately this doesn't seem to make any difference for me

I just got this card today and this slow fan-speed during high load is bugging me already

@Pulfer, pflynn:

anything special I need to consider when entering the command ?

I've logged into root (sudo su && su - )

and it says
              PPLIB command execution is Successful!
              but the temperature still seems to stay around 62-64?C at idle

many thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                but the temperature still seems to stay around 62-64?C at idle
                Well, I get about 60 ?C after aticonfig --pplib-cmd 'set fanspeed 0 100' command. But before this command the temperature is about 80-90 60 ?C. Perhaps your card's fan is already running at full speed.

Comment

thanks Pulfer,

yeah, I booted into windows and saw that it's running between 60-100 %

unfortunately it doesn't seem to recognize the command or doesn't respond to it - so the fan does whatever it wants to do on its own

anyone knows a command which shows the current RPM of the fan ?

it's very strange to see: "60%" of max fan speed running

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                    thanks Pulfer,

yeah, I booted into windows and saw that it's running between 60-100 %

unfortunately it doesn't seem to recognize the command or doesn't respond to it - so the fan does whatever it wants to do on its own

anyone knows a command which shows the current RPM of the fan ?

it's very strange to see: "60%" of max fan speed running
                    There is a superkaramba theme that let you change the fan speed by steps of 5% and indicates the GPU temp :
                    This widget will display current ATI screen card fan speed and temperature.It will also allow the modification of the fan speed in 5% increments.This widget was born out of a need to easily...

I used it some times, but it doesn't change really things for my 4870 that already runs silent with not much temp (45?). But I bought a special faned 4870 (PowerColor PCS+).
                    Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X