Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S3 Announces New GPU, Magical Linux Driver

Phoronix: S3 Announces New GPU, Magical Linux Driver

In addition to VIA announcing a register documentation drop and driver partnership, S3 Graphics, which is a VIA Technologies joint venture company, has announced a new graphics card. Earlier this year S3 announced the Chrome 440 GTX, but today's press release christens the Chrome 500 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So is this register-compatible with any of the documented IGPs, or is it a different family?

Comment

My gut-feeling is that they just tried to fish for some additional press-attantion with this. If anyone pokes them refering to their press-release I'd expect a reply along the lines "Oops, did we mention Linux there. Nah sorry, that was just a typo."

Best regards ...

Mirco

Comment

Originally posted by MacSlow View Post
        My gut-feeling is that they just tried to fish for some additional press-attantion with this. If anyone pokes them refering to their press-release I'd expect a reply along the lines "Oops, did we mention Linux there. Nah sorry, that was just a typo."

Best regards ...

Mirco
        Still waiting on a reply from them
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

ATI already has a OpenGL 3.0 Driver since Catalyst 8.9

Comment

Originally posted by thacrazze View Post
            ATI already has a OpenGL 3.0 Driver since Catalyst 8.9
            But does it work?

Comment

This would be pretty nice if it does work out. Maybe even a competitor to Radeon HD4350, they appear to be priced similarly.

Comment

Michael Larabel wrote some really negatively biased articles there. Why so much scepticism?
                Clearly via/s3 is on the right path - they deserve some gratification and encouragement (especially the latter).

Comment

Working...
                X