One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me262 View Post
    They've earned it. After how they've been too tight-lipped, and how they've handled the linux client questions. I suppose the fact that they came across a monster of a problem that's delayed the project to well over a year would fit in there too.
    Heh... Just keep in mind...even though they've justifiably earned scorn from us about this, they're going to REMEMBER it when they do anything else. If you don't care about what they make, it's probably cool to heap it on 'em. UT3's shaping up to be not so hot a deal, with them putting more of their efforts into GoW. But if they happen to come up with something worth messing with and think about doing a Linux version, they're going to remember all that scorn and derision and not equate it against the failure that is UT3 but our community.

Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      If that's what you currently have, you should really consider flashing it with DDWRT firmware, MUCH better than the LinkSys one.
      Nah, that's what I should have bought! Anything can top the trash I'm stuck with, but it's a long story why I can't replace it. Yet. It might get involved in an accident involving itself, a hard stop, and a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Heh... Just keep in mind...even though they've justifiably earned scorn from us about this, they're going to REMEMBER it when they do anything else. If you don't care about what they make, it's probably cool to heap it on 'em. UT3's shaping up to be not so hot a deal, with them putting more of their efforts into GoW. But if they happen to come up with something worth messing with and think about doing a Linux version, they're going to remember all that scorn and derision and not equate it against the failure that is UT3 but our community.

Food for thought.
        If they do "come up with something worth messing with" like you say, which i very much doubt they will. It's all GoW for them from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by superppl View Post
          Nah, that's what I should have bought! Anything can top the trash I'm stuck with, but it's a long story why I can't replace it. Yet. It might get involved in an accident involving itself, a hard stop, and a hammer.
          I was thinking more along the lines of flood waters myself...but a bit of impact therapy with the thing would do it wonders...

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
            If they do "come up with something worth messing with" like you say, which i very much doubt they will. It's all GoW for them from now on.
            You say this now... Blizzard was held in much the same way as we're holding Epic right at the moment because of a pissing match that's been off and on for some time now over Starcraft, Diablo II, BattleNet, etc. Yet we could probably have had a WoW client had we not done that.

Again, food for thought...

Comment

I would not bet on this one. Granted shit flinging started from the Linux side of the matter first but somehow tensions had been around already for sure as in life it's like Physics: Actio = Reactio.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                I would not bet on this one. Granted shit flinging started from the Linux side of the matter first but somehow tensions had been around already for sure as in life it's like Physics: Actio = Reactio.
                Heh... We were nice at first and then when they said to us there'd be no way in hell for Starcraft, Warcraft, etc. it kind of went downhill from there.

As for Epic... I'm of the belief that they're going to be a while in getting something worthwhile back into people's hands- GoW wasn't all that great (Better than UT3, from what I understand, but not "great"... ) and UT3 is panning out to be a stinker overall. I think we should vent a little bit of that scorn and just move on. They're just not worth our time or consideration any longer. If they cough up a UT3 client, I might consider a bargain bin purchase of the Windows assets, but if the servers are ghost towns like it's been implied, I don't think it's even worth that much trouble to anyone in the Linux community at this point.

Comment

My word. With other games there would be not that much of a fuzz if they are left without a Linux client especially if played but here, over a dead born game, topics are filling faster roads right now with snow :O

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    Heh... We were nice at first and then when they said to us there'd be no way in hell for Starcraft, Warcraft, etc. it kind of went downhill from there.
                    Keep in mind though that epic is the one that's been up until this point releasing linux clients, even kept them up to date.
                    Blizzard has not, and they'd have to reinvent their toolchain to do so. They would be welcomed with open arms (or anyone else for that matter) if they do end up releasing linux clients.
                    Times change, so do CEOs and other key decision-making company employees.

Comment

• Sorry for 'shit flinging' but they DID and STILL say they are releasing a GNU/Linux client shortly , being an ex-epic fan i had no reason to take their promise as lies , after all a similar situation occured with ETQW ( to think i was pissed at waiting 1? months for the ETQW client - hats off to TTimo ). I bought the game on their word , I trusted them yet they even wont apologise for this delay. To say that 'shit flinging' or genuinely being pissed at epic for having peoples money and not giving them what they said they would might cause other developers to not make GNU/Linux clients is wrong , GNU/Linux is only growing as the numbers increase ( i heard 50 million approx ) game companies will have to or another game compay will.
                      Svartalf , well done with X3 , if you apologise i will buy 3 copies

Comment

Working...
                      X