Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Open GL and Jack Keane

Hi there!

I'm using the new released version of ubuntu (intepred ibex 8.10). My graphiccard is a radeon x1900xtx.
    The release candidate 8.10 contains the newest version of the free driver radeon. So, i think, my graphiccard will be supported out of the box.

Now, here is my problem. I installed the native version of jack keane (an adventure game). But i'm not able to start up the game, every time, after the intro video, the game exits with following error message:

Code:
    Using RenderSystem: OpenGL Rendering Subsystem
    Segmentation fault.
    After that I'm back on the desktop. I wanted to solve this problem, so I tried a few things:

The 3d support is given, glxgears works fine with ca. 3200 fps and in fullscreen mode 500 fps.

glxinfo | grep rendering gives me the following string:

Code:
    direct rendering: Yes
    glxinfo | grep Open says:

Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
    OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 7.2
    OpenGL extensions:
    I think the problem is an OpenGL problem, because i can't open movies in vlc with OpenGL support. The video windows closes immediately. when i change the video output to X11, the video works fine. (this is only with compiz enabled)

Ah, and of course, i'm trying the gamestart without compiz.

It would be nice, if someone could help me. I have no idea, how to fix this problem...
    Last edited by psuch; 17 November 2008, 07:33 PM.

start the game in gdb and get a backtrace when it segfaults.

Comment

I noticed another thing, that might be helpful. So, it seems, that i have no 3D support at all. glxgears works, but no native game (etqw, q4, q3, jack keane etc.) will be able to start. every time I get an OpenGL error. Is there perhaps an option that I have to enable in the xorg.conf?

Anyway, thanks for your hint, I'll try out what gdb says, as soon as I can.

Edit: I tried to start the games with fglrx. There seems to be no problem, all the mentioned games are starting. But fglrx is really not the driver, that I prefer...
      Last edited by psuch; 24 November 2008, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Many games require GLSL, those will run with fglrx then.

Comment

Hmm, is there some sort of timeline for opengl2.0 (3.0?) support for the radeon/radeonHD drivers?

Comment

There isn't really a timeline, but opengl 2.0 needs improved memory management (moving from the X driver to drm) as a pre-requisite. That is being worked on now, and I expect work on OpenGL 2.0 will start to lurch ahead once memory management is in place and reasonably solid.

For more info on memory management work look for references to GEM and/or TTM. Dave's blog probably has the most info on ATI-related memory management work :

http://airlied.livejournal.com

Memory management, kernel modesetting and DRI2 are all somewhat inter-dependent and are all being pushed ahead together. Jerome's blog also has some interesting notes :

http://jglisse.livejournal.com

All of this work is proceeding in parallel with 6xx/7xx acceleration support, so one of the challenges is "staying out of each others' way"
            Last edited by bridgman; 24 November 2008, 04:27 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Thats nice to know.

So, than I have to wait. Thanks a lot for all of you help!

Comment

Well Q3 should be able to run now. The fact that it's giving you an error suggests there is something wrong with your drivers...

Adam

Comment

The problem is not within the driver, the problem is the driver itself. Games like Jack Keane, ETQW and Q4 need OpenGL 2.0 and OpenGL 2.0 is not yet supported from the free radeon driver. So, there might be only two things, that might bring the solution: wait for a new radeon release (whenever with opengl2.0) or using fglrx. But thank you for your post anyway.

Comment

Above you mentioned that Q3 won't start. Q3 works with the current open source radeon driver. If it's not working for you, then there's something wrong with your driver installation.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X