new HTPC build -- bear with me please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new HTPC build -- bear with me please

I know there are a bunch of threads on system building here (it is after all the system building area...) but please bear with me.

Intro
    Also note I will post this request at SPCR, Phoronix and MythTVTalk, all to get input on the various aspects of the build. Some of these questions will have been asked before but in order to get clearest set of repsonses from the 3 sources I will post the same post in each forum. I will use Euro as price meter with prices from http://geizhals.at/eu/.

Intent:
    to build a cheap and low energy and thereby low noise HTPC running Linux in an Antec Micro Fusion case (micro-atx) using onboard graphics. HD content will be (if any mostly downloaded or from Freesat (which I believe is 720p)

Base question: AMD v Intel and ATI v NVIDIA v Intel
    The base question is of course a mixed one, if I go for ATI graphics I will have to use an AMD processor, Intel graphics will need an Intel CPU - nVIDIA will the choice of either

CPU:
    Intel A) Pentium Dual Core 5200, 45nm, (72Euro, boxed) - plenty of power for what I intend to do
    Intel B) Pentium Dual Core 2180, 65nm M0 stepping (55Euro, boxed), should still be enough power

Tom's E2220 M0 Stepping

both offer great wattage and power (despite intel calling them 65w tdp), 2180 is about

AMD A) Athlon 64 x2 4850e (55 Euro, boxed)
    processing power similar to above, thermally not so good (just cpu)

Motherboard -- rather chipset:
    this is more about a chipset in the first instance than about a specific board
    Nvidia for Intel: Nvidia does decode on mGPU and have just published VDPAU for Linux, Thermals have been tested as good and so is video (on Windows tests) (100 Euro, for Asus board)
    Nvidia for AMD: geforce mGPU 8200 (official TDP14.3W) as above for video capabilities, but much more availability (50-55 Euro plus)

ATI for AMD: 780g chipset (or 780m if avail) supposedly uses less than 1W, but I doubt that is same basis as TDP for nvidia or intel -- happy to hear it is -- works fine, I believe there is an hdmi sound restriction which is irrelevant for me as my amp will need a co-axial/optical lead, AMD has announced UVD for Linux but its not out yet UVD for AMD, (50-55 Euro plus, an 790gx board for 125Euro appears overkill)

Intel for Intel: G45 chipset can do full hd, tdp 23w, will have open source drivers at some point, Intel though not the best at even getting windows drivers to work (100 Euro)
    G43 instead of G45, same tdp, cuts out a bit video processing might strain cpu more ie higher heat rate (80 Euro, not a big saving v G45)

Hard disk
    Is it worthwhile to go 2.5" for sound and heat?

DVD:
    Will follow recommendation from spcr

The chipset might be the clincher so I am more than happy to hear opions and so, also if people have specific recommendations please fire away.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME and HELP!

oh I just noticed the UVD "1" might not be supported and only UVD2 seems to be getting the full steam ahead, if this is so then nvidia has just moved up a notch....

Comment

Originally posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
      oh I just noticed the UVD "1" might not be supported and only UVD2 seems to be getting the full steam ahead, if this is so then nvidia has just moved up a notch....
      That's correct.

My recommendation would be to hold off until Jan when the new nvidia motherboard chipsets come out. They will have full HD acceleration like the 9300 chipsets for intel. Then slap a nice AMD EE edition dual core on it and you would be set.
      Last edited by deanjo; 20 November 2008, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        That's correct.

My recommendation would be to hold off until Jan when the new nvidia motherboard chipsets come out. They will have full HD acceleration like the 9300 chipsets for intel. Then slap a nice AMD EE edition dual core on it and you would be set.

oh really I had not seen any announcement for them, any links?

currently strongly trending to nvidia, but not sure if I go AMD EE or Intel E5200...

Comment

Here are a couple of links.

Last edited by deanjo; 21 November 2008, 05:39 PM.

Comment

thanks for that, they seem different from the 9300/9400 series though, those supposedly have 16 cores of IGP sorry mGPU .. just an obseration...

anand's current igp comparison
            http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3432

will consider might a bit of wait, these things have a habit of delays...

also it looks like both intel 9300/9400 and amd 8200/8300 chipset have purevideoHD

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...0_mgpu_us.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...0_mgpu_us.html
            Last edited by Cuppa-Chino; 25 November 2008, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I believe there is an hdmi sound restriction

chipset (or 780m if avail) supposedly uses less than 1W, but I doubt that is same basis as TDP for nvidia or intel -- happy to hear it is -- works fine, I believe there is an hdmi sound restriction which is irrelevant for me as my amp will need a co-axial/optical lead, AMD has announced UVD for Linux but its not out yet UVD for AMD, (50-55 Euro plus, an 790gx board for 125Euro appears overkill)

Intel for Intel: G45 chipset can do full hd, tdp 23w, will have open source drivers at some point, Intel though not the best at even getting windows drivers to work (100 Euro)
              G43 instead of G45, same tdp, cuts out a bit video processing might strain cpu more ie higher heat rate (80 Euro, not a big saving.

Comment

Nvidia 9300 instead of G45 would be also possible if you want to use a binary only driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamon003 View Post
                  chipset (or 780m if avail) supposedly uses less than 1W, but I doubt that is same basis as TDP for nvidia or intel -- happy to hear it is -- works fine, I believe there is an hdmi sound restriction which is irrelevant for me as my amp will need a co-axial/optical lead, AMD has announced UVD for Linux but its not out yet UVD for AMD, (50-55 Euro plus, an 790gx board for 125Euro appears overkill)

G43 instead of G45, same tdp, cuts out a bit video processing might strain cpu more ie higher heat rate (80 Euro, not a big saving.
                  yes would like the amd chipset but:

Originally posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
                  on intel difficult to say, they did not manage a windows driver for 965g for 3 years, does not bode well....

at mo I get impression that nvidia is the only one with working vid accel

@Kano at the moment I am tending towards nvidia 9300 with pentium E despite being a bit more expensive getting the impression that will just work (somehow)

Comment

Working...
                  X