No announcement yet.

Adobe Releases 64-bit Flash For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An updated version of Flash-x86_64 Alpha was released this week.

Comment

thanks for the news about 10.0.0.21 . i just shifted to 64-bit linux (ubuntu 8.10) recently after hearing of flash 64 (and w64codecs, which i was unaware of, and also of the seamless nature of nspluginwrapper and other 32-bit apps). while i was happy with nspluginwrapper, this native plugin is blazing fast to me apparently. coupled with the 64-bit sun java plugin (6u12-b2) and firefox 3.2 trunk (minefield, also 64 bit), browsing is a new experience.

in general, 64-bit linux rocks . (so does 64-bit vista ultimate i heard with 4 gigs of ram, and possibly osx.)

Comment

ps : forgot to mention. there may be an issue with memory leaks. i am not sure if it is due to the nvidia-driver 180.16 (its 32-bit compat libs?) or flash, but seems its due to flash. occasionally, if there is a heavy memory leak, may need to close the browser and kill the process ldlinux.so.2.

also, some sluggishness with fullscreen videos. has something to do with mouse cursor movement.

but apart from these two issues, its super .

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
          ps : forgot to mention. there may be an issue with memory leaks. i am not sure if it is due to the nvidia-driver 180.16 (its 32-bit compat libs?) or flash, but seems its due to flash. occasionally, if there is a heavy memory leak, may need to close the browser and kill the process ldlinux.so.2.

also, some sluggishness with fullscreen videos. has something to do with mouse cursor movement.

but apart from these two issues, its super .
          Those memory leaks are from Adobe Reader which isn't 64bit native. My solution was to remove that nasty software with nspluginwrapper, install mozplugger and use FF+evince ;-)

Comment

The kde4 users should install qt4 version of the gtk-qt-engine to get native flash to work with konqueror

on debian deinstall
            gtk-qt-engine - theme engine using Qt for GTK+ 2.x

and install
            gtk-qt-engine-kde4 - theme engine using Qt 4 for GTK+ 2.x
            Last edited by czarnyckm; 04 January 2009, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Damn. The Linux version of Flash sucks. Totally. I uploaded an HD video (720p) to YouTube and it plays fine in Windows. In Linux, it drops frames like hell.

This is the demo that won the Assembly 2007 competition. This is something you should run in real time @ 60FPS on your PC by downloading it from:http://www.p...

This chokes like crazy in my Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.33GHz in Linux. Almost unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Damn. The Linux version of Flash sucks.
                Does this really surprise you considering Adobe's history of shitty code in general?

Comment

Damn. The Linux version of Flash sucks. Totally. I uploaded an HD video (720p) to YouTube and it plays fine in Windows. In Linux, it drops frames like hell.

This is the demo that won the Assembly 2007 competition. This is something you should run in real time @ 60FPS on your PC by downloading it from:http://www.p...

This chokes like crazy in my Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.33GHz in Linux. Almost unwatchable.
                  It works fine here. Have hardware acceleration enabled..?

core 2 duo @ 2.2ghz...

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                    It works fine here. Have hardware acceleration enabled..?
                    It's enabled. So you say the animation is fluid with no skips? And you're on Flash 10 64-bit?

Comment

It's enabled. So you say the animation is fluid with no skips? And you're on Flash 10 64-bit?
                      Yeah (File name: libflashplayer.so, Shockwave Flash 10.0 d21, and Buzzword is buggy with the letter 'a' while my 32bit vm can display it fine).

The video is amazing btw, wish I could run the demo on my 'buntu.

Comment

Working...
                      X