Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA VDPAU Benchmarks

Phoronix: NVIDIA VDPAU Benchmarks

Earlier today we shared that NVIDIA is bringing PureVideo features to Linux through a major update in their binary display driver. The NVIDIA 180.06 driver adds VDPAU support on Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD operating systems, with VDPAU being a set of APIs designed by NVIDIA to accelerate video decoding, provide post-processing capabilities, timstamp-based presentation of video frames, and compositing of sub-picture elements. We have now had the time to benchmark the Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix and have seen the benefits of PureVideo features finally arriving on alternative platforms.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bye bye plans for expensive HTPC box with cooling and noise problems! Hello plans for silent $35 video card!
    Last edited by korpenkraxar; 14 November 2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Nvidia's driver just keeps getting better and better, great! i should have gone with the 9800gx2 instead of the 4870

Comment

holy crap! from the looks of things, as soon as the video got loaded the CPU just sat there and twiddled its thumbs!

Seriously. AMD. I want to love you. I really do. But now you're back to playing catch up.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
          holy crap! from the looks of things, as soon as the video got loaded the CPU just sat there and twiddled its thumbs!
          Yes. It would be great if Phoronix tried a few different cards as well to give us a feeling about how powerful the GPU needs to be. How does the much simpler integrated GeForce 8200 compare?

Comment

What I want to know that is this API usable without the blob, with either nv or vesa?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              What I want to know that is this API usable without the blob, with either nv or vesa?
              no... you need the binary driver for this.

Comment

So what the hell is the benefit? Nada. The fact it's opensource means nothing when the driver side could be damn complicated, so good luck Intel and others trying to use this as the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  So what the hell is the benefit? Nada. The fact it's opensource means nothing when the driver side could be damn complicated, so good luck Intel and others trying to use this as the standard.
                  Wait, what? Open standards are indeed nice, but at least competition will still occur, but not as well, which is the point of closing things up (which then sometimes backfires). Instead of programs adopting just XV and XVMC and such, now they have to add on this new one that only Nvidia cards are able to utilize because the API is closed? If so that does indeed suck for developers. Just as I was starting to feel comfy that XVMC was going to be the next big and powerful standard...

But, at least something is there and exists, so that's good at least.

I was about to replace my 8600 in our HTPC with an AMD card of some sort because of this issue of horrible lag while playing really intensive/big movies, but now I may not have to, tho still probably will since AMD is more open-sourcey. =D
                  Last edited by Yfrwlf; 15 November 2008, 05:20 AM.

Comment

And the hammer falls once again, bitch all you want about not being a FOSS solution, end result once again is Nvidia delivers while the rest show roadmaps. In the end, if you want working solutions look to nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                    X