Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Releases Two New Open-Source Drivers

Phoronix: Intel Releases Two New Open-Source Drivers

This week NVIDIA released their 177.82 Linux driver and AMD pushed out their Catalyst 8.11 Linux driver. Intel has now joined the party and pushed out not one but two new driver releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Way to go intel drivers team, awesome as usual.

Comment

KMS option

In the changelog there was a mention of a KMS option. We now have to enable kms at configure time I wonder how does that work. Will it only work for kernels having KMS enabled. But as fa as I know no kenel has it for intel chips. Its supposed to be intoduced in 2,6,29.

Comment

what's the purpose of maintaining two branches of the driver?

(i'm not an intel user (yet), so i don't really know).

Comment

@yoshi: One stable and one cutting-edge branche? That's nothing unusual in FOSS.

Comment

Why the hell do FOSS developers never learn that "less is more"! Don't churn out new driver offspins every now and then. We want "one" working driver and not tons of mediocre bimmel-bammel. U_U

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Why the hell do FOSS developers never learn that "less is more"! Don't churn out new driver offspins every now and then. We want "one" working driver and not tons of mediocre bimmel-bammel. U_U
              ok it seems that 2.5.x needs libdrm 2.4, so it's problably the KMS branch, while 2.4.x is the old branch without modesetting. that's my guess for now, anyway.

eventually there will be just one, but for now it seems like a reasonable split.

Comment

Working...
              X