No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.11 Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, didn't read a few things properly it seems - sorry, my bad! But I'll still poke at latest xorg soon enough (by soon enough, I mean within the next few days) just for a few laughs.
    And I learned the hard way quite some time ago to not use the ati installer (with gentoo at any rate).

Comment

Yay!

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      I did have some messages about driDriverExtensions that vanished (this is why I specifically mentioned it in this thread), and also a few instability problems (or simply not starting problems) when using two monitors (no xinerama). Direct rendering was always "no" before I copied the file across.
      But thankyou, at least I know it's probably specific to me now and may not help others. However, as it works for me, but I've noticed a few others with the same problem, I would be interested in finding out why.
      [...]
      I guess it is not specific after all. Seems gentoo didn't copy libglx.so either. After copying both libglx.so and libdri.so to /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/ most of the problems (broken AIGLX, broken PBuffer, amdcccle Segfault) just go away. Thanks.

This release is actually one of the better ones for me.

Comment

great - I am trying that now.
        just give Lu some time to change the ebuilds accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
          great - I am trying that now.
          just give Lu some time to change the ebuilds accordingly
          Actually, I'm guessing that will not get a lot more complicated. He will probably need to change the xorg-server ebuilds as well to place libdri.so into /usr/lib64/opengl/xorg-x11/extensions/ instead of /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/ so that eselect opengl can select the appropriate one. At least libglx.so already goes there, eny reason the ati-drivers ebuild places the X.Org libglx.so into /usr/lib64/opengl/ati/extensions/ instead of the one from Catalyst?
          Last edited by dscharrer; 16 November 2008, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dscharrer View Post
            I guess it is not specific after all. Seems gentoo didn't copy libglx.so either. After copying both libglx.so and libdri.so to /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/ most of the problems (broken AIGLX, broken PBuffer, amdcccle Segfault) just go away. Thanks.

This release is actually one of the better ones for me.
            Good to know the problem's been found & fixed. I wasn't aware of ati providing their own libglx.so (seems to have only been added in the latest release) - cheers for the info!

Comment

Thanks to all, using those two libs everything works OK

i modified the ebuild replacing
              Code:
              dosym ../xorg-x11/extensions ${ATI_ROOT}/extensions
              with this
              Code:
              exeinto ${ATI_ROOT}/extensions
              doexe "${BASE_DIR}"/usr/X11R6/${PKG_LIBDIR}/modules/extensions/libglx.so
              doexe "${BASE_DIR}"/usr/X11R6/${PKG_LIBDIR}/modules/extensions/libdri.so
              and adding this function to remove the symlink (not sure if this is the correct way to do that)
              Code:
              pkg_preinst() {
                      if use amd64 ; then
                              [[ -L "${ROOT}/usr/lib32/opengl/ati/extensions" ]] && rm ${ROOT}/usr/lib32/opengl/ati/extensions
                      fi
                      [[ -L "${ROOT}/usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions" ]] && rm ${ROOT}/usr/lib/opengl/ati/extensions
              }

Comment

ok so i fixed this problem but i had to reinstall and i havn't been able to get it to work again. i did this with ubuntu 8.04 and all that i had to do after the installation of ait's driver and the fglrx is just enable it inside restricted driver manager. thats all that there was to it. i'm trying it on 7.10 now because i didn't like the new distro as much but i can't get it to work now. it's not the same fix but i know that the driver works under 8.04 and if somebody knows a backup program that might get it back i'd be happy to post my xorg files. but yeah i'll get back if i fix it

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  If you want to use it with Ubuntu and want to use dkms (instead of pure installer) use:

dkms will work with Debian too - autoinstalled by script in that case. Note that the unpatched installer has broken --buildpkg Ubuntu because the fglrx kernel module will not work then - check dmesg.
                  Kano, I am trying to install the driver in Ubuntu 8.10 using a custom kernel (2.6.27). These are the files (xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log) from different tries: using a xorg.conf generated by your script and xorg.conf generated by aticonfig:

xorg.conf by Kano's script: http://pastie.org/332612
                  xorg.conf by aticonfig: http://pastie.org/332615

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                  X