LGA CPU Storage Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LGA CPU Storage Tip

For the emails that we have received from users inquiring about how to safely and properly store any LGA-775 CPUs when not in use, as well as to pass along this tid-bit of information to others, here's how we do it. I had initially figured it out shortly after the Intel LGA launch back in 2004, and haven't run into any problems with this technique. It has been tested with both LGA-771 and LGA-775 processors, and should also work with the upcoming LGA-1207.

The process is safe (haven't killed any CPUs this way yet ), compact (takes barely any room), and plain and simply works well. It basically involves removing the CD holder portion of a standard jewel case, and then plopping the CPU in there (also works well if you still have the plastic base portion of the CPU from when it was shipped). It's also recommended that you remove the thermal compound as well prior to storing it. Basically a jewel case with the plastic CD holder portion works quite well as its practically the perfect height, is plastic, and is quite compact. A single jewel case can store one or multiple Land Grid Array CPUs.

Multiple package.

The CD case design is much smaller, secure, and just better (IMHO) than storing the CPUs in the retail packaging.

If you have any questions or comments about this matter, feel free to post.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

First, you have too many CPU's.

Second, that's a great idea

Comment

It's also much safer than the sources that send out CPU engineering samples in standard paper envelopes
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

hey im new here i was searching for better methods for storing my cpu's i had lying around since i have a 4 year old terrorist living with me .this could could destroy anything lol.

i found this post and tried it ,it works great ...

also i found that it works well for storing standard random access memory sticks.i was able to fit 6 processors and 1 dram stick in 1 case and have another for 3 more sticks of unused dram.

thanks for taking the time to post this great idea,im just bummed i didnt think of this on my own ,im usualy more resourcefull .

Comment

Well, for the typical user, once the chip comes off the board, you might as well dump it in the trash since it likely isn't going to run ever again.

-- otherwise that user would have picked up a new mainboard with the new chip.

The only other case would be for those who (for unfathomable reasons) like benchmarking and swap chips back and forth.

Comment

yeah man i have a hobby of making old computers new again and donating them to less fortunate persons whome otherwise couldnt afford a pc.

as well as getting them hooked up with free internet,by 2 methods.
            in my area we have a free dial up service which isnt too bad as far as speed.another method is getting them on public wifi .

also i am stockpileing pentium4 cpu's for an extreme overclocking venture i am planning to break the 8 ghz world record. people think the current world record is 6-6.5 ghz but its actually 8 ghz on an intel p4 chip.

anyways thats what i needed the storage for.

Comment

You, my friend, are anything but typical

Comment

Working...
              X