Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB

Phoronix: Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB

The launch of the RV770 GPU earlier this year by AMD was quite successful. The Radeon HD 4850 and Radeon HD 4870 series feature best-in-class performance and Linux customers were greeted by an evolutionary step in ATI/AMD Linux support. Linux users with these graphics cards now have CrossFire, OverDrive, RandR 1.2, X-Video Bitstream Acceleration, and other new functionality. If you are looking for leading performance and all of the bells and whistles on the newest ATI graphics cards but at a lower cost, AMD recently introduced the Radeon HD 4830. In this article we are looking at the Sapphire Radeon HD 4830 512MB under Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

... and leading open-source support for all ATI Radeon HD graphics processors.
    , featuring modesetting and basic 2D acceleration only...
    (c) http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature (see "R700" and "R700(RHD)" columns)

?..
    Last edited by mityukov; 12 November 2008, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mityukov View Post
      , featuring modesetting and basic 2D acceleration only...
      (c) http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature (see "R700" and "R700(RHD)" columns)

?..
      True, but the Nouveau driver isn't in that much better shape, not at the moment, and Nvidia hasn't even tried to help the open sourcians at all whereas AMD has. Right now though, open source driver support on Linux is still pretty quiet/sucky, and ultimately of course open source drivers will be best, but for now many users will be satisfied with the closed source ones even if they do often lag behind with features in some areas. AMD is caught up to Nvidia now on that front at least and may even have surpassed Nvidia. I know in certain areas they have surpassed them.

Of course, you have to be careful of those companies doing stupid PR stunts and pretending to be all for open source when they haven't done anything. AMD has actually released some documentation though, and I'm not aware of Nvidia doing that, ever. It'd be really nice if everyone would open source their closed drivers though. It's just a stupid program, and you're in the business of selling hardware any way. Give more control to your buyers, and you'll have more buyers. If, however, you're screwing them over by placing artificial limitations within your driver, then you might not want to let everyone know you've been backstabbing them the whole time. *ahem*FireGL vs. Radeon*ahem*. :P
      Last edited by Yfrwlf; 12 November 2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Of course, you have to be careful of those companies doing stupid PR stunts and pretending to be all for open source when they haven't done anything.
        wait, you mean like VIA?

Comment

4830 and Ubuntu

I picked up a Sapphire 4830 last week for my modest gaming needs - it's a pretty nice card for the money. At my fairly low resolution (1440x900), it's as fast as my girlfriend's 4850. Mine overclocked pretty well (690 x 1100), but I ended up bumping the speed back down to normal to keep the overall heat down on my system.

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x86 on my desktop at home with the aforementioned 4830, after spending a significant amount of time trying to get an accelerated X server that would display 1440 x 900 under OpenSolaris with the 4830.

Aside from the annoying pop-up messages reminding me that i'm using a non-free driver, it worked pretty well under Ubuntu. There were some flickering issues with some of the compiz effects, and video overlay with compiz enabled wasn't so keen. My old radeon (X1950Pro) worked great, so I'm sure as the catalyst drivers mature the compiz issues will go away. I would love to see a catalyst driver for Solaris or OpenSolaris but honestly I'm happy enough that they release a linux package that's updated frequently.

Comment

Working...
          X