X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bruno08 View Post
    Why aren't they just using a one-time key input system like Quake series and.. everyone else?
    Nobody wants a password dialogue up for playing a game.
    I thought it was a one-time key input. Unfortunately your right. Really what is LGP thinking??? I bought several (LGP) games in the past and I wanted to order X3. But now I rather buy the Windows version (costs only 5 eu) and run it in Wine. I'm all for supporting Linux game publishers (I own lots of Linux games). And I don't mind paying some extra money, but having to insert (and remember) my passwords for each time I want play a game is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by aniruddha View Post
      I thought it was a one-time key input. Unfortunately your right. Really what is LGP thinking??? I bought several (LGP) games in the past and I wanted to order X3. But now I rather buy the Windows version (costs only 5 eu) and run it in Wine. I'm all for supporting Linux game publishers (I own lots of Linux games). And I don't mind paying some extra money, but having to insert (and remember) my passwords for each time I want play a game is ludicrous.
      Read this on how the system works, specifically, the second section entitled "How our copy protection works".

Great to see the game out! I know a lot were looking forward to this one.

Comment

Originally posted by SlackerTD View Post
        Read this on how the system works, specifically, the second section entitled "How our copy protection works".

Great to see the game out! I know a lot were looking forward to this one.
        Weird, I read the Phoronix which apparently is incorrect:
        Anyone can put the game on their system, as LGP's new (Loki-based) installer isn't modified as part of this piracy-prevention scheme, but they will not be able to launch the game unless a valid key and password are provided. This information is then validated against LGP's servers (with SSL). If the key/password combination is verified, then it will launch the game.
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about users without internet? I plan on installing these games on my laptop which doesn't have internet all the time

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
          @MaestroMaus: If you want another webshop to buy it from, go to www.tuxgames.com . They sell it, and they ship worldwide
          LGP owns tuxgames I think, so the only difference is price (lower @ tuxgames).
          BTW I love tuxgames look - so 90s

Comment

Originally posted by aniruddha View Post
            What about users without internet? I plan on installing these games on my laptop which doesn't have internet all the time
            Contingencies are made so that if no internet connection is available, the game will never lock out legitimate customers.
            I'm not sure what that means, but presumable you'd be OK with intermittent internet access as long as you had it during your initial install/launch to have it validated.

I obviously don't know all the details but their scheme seems sensible. I'm fine with having some for of copy protection, and this one doesn't seem as dumb as requiring a CD.

But thinking about it more:

Finally, we come to the people that want to copy the game and give it to friends. We cannot stop people from telling their friends their serial number and password. However, bear in mind, anyone who has your serial number and password can change your password.
            Is there something that prevents you from, instead of giving your buddies the name and password to install, giving them the installed files and config files in ~/.x3reunion (or whatever) that indicates it's already been validated? If your info is not stored in plaintext, you'd be giving them a working copy without giving them your name/password combo. LGP'd have to have it check if it was on different hardware, and if so ask for name/password, but that seems like it would annoy people by straying too close to Windows activation.

Well, I hope whatever they have works for them, by which I mean lowers illegitimate copying without annoying customers.

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
              I'm not sure what that means, but presumable you'd be OK with intermittent internet access as long as you had it during your initial install/launch to have it validated.

I obviously don't know all the details but their scheme seems sensible. I'm fine with having some for of copy protection, and this one doesn't seem as dumb as requiring a CD.

Well, I hope whatever they have works for them, by which I mean lowers illegitimate copying without annoying customers.
              I contacted LGP and they assured me you can use the games without internet. I must say they are more open for consumer suggestions then any other publisher I encountered So two thumbs up for this release!

Comment

This system sounds like it has all the benefits of Steam (downloadable games on any system you own, no CD in the drive, license tied to an e-mail address so you can't lose it) without having to run a crappy program in the background If I can figure out the X3 demo I'll probably buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlackerTD View Post
                  There's a mailing list for discussing the copy-protection, and it was described a bit differently there.
                  Particularly, this bit:
                  Once the key has been verified on the LGP servers, and the password registered then you are good to go, you never need to worry about the system again. It will call to the LGP servers each time the game starts, to verify its details. It does all this in the background.
                  vs what's stated at here
                  The only time you NEED an internet connection, is if you have had one previously and the game found it was an invalid copy.
                  2. That the software stops calling home once it verifies your key, and won't disable the software if it can't connect.
                  So personally, I'm just rather confused with conflicting information. No one's come out with a clear and concise explanation.

Comment

If i wanted DRM and binary blobs, i'd use windows. It's a no-go for me.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                      If i wanted DRM and binary blobs, i'd use windows. It's a no-go for me.
                      And if there are a lot of people with that attitude, the rest of us who doesn't care won't be able to play a game because LGP would go out of business. Well, at least we know who we can blame for it if it happens! thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X