Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

Phoronix: X3: Reunion Finally Goes Gold On Linux

X3: Reunion is a game developed by Egosoft, and is the sequel to X2: The Threat, which is being ported to Linux by Linux Game Publishing. LGP has been working on porting this Microsoft Windows title to Linux since January of 2007. This game was originally supposed to be released for Linux in August of 2007, but it didn't enter beta until October of 2007...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Better late than never!

Comment

Code:
      naib@FluidMotion ~ $ glxinfo | grep shader3
          GL_NV_texture_shader, GL_NV_texture_shader2, GL_NV_texture_shader3,
      WooHoo I'm ordering \o/
      been wanting this for sometime now

Comment

Why aren't they just using a one-time key input system like Quake series and.. everyone else?
        Nobody wants a password dialogue up for playing a game.

Comment

I'm tempted to buy it, but there aren't any resellers for me here.

BTW, I was wondering, does LGP consider getting their products on Steam (if the rumours are true and Steam comes to Linux, very unlikely, I know) or a different webshop?

Originally posted by bruno08 View Post
          Why aren't they just using a one-time key input system like Quake series and.. everyone else?
          Nobody wants a password dialogue up for playing a game.
          Download music, movies, games, software and much more. The Pirate Bay is the galaxy's most resilient BitTorrent site.

The big anti-DRM thread has already been created 6 months ago. Go over there if you feel the need to talk about it. Don't ruin the party over here again, please.
          Last edited by MaestroMaus; 10 November 2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I don't care about the DRM.

I am definitely going to buy this title, have been waiting for it for ages now (will also buy sacred: gold when it is released)

@MaestroMaus: If you want another webshop to buy it from, go to www.tuxgames.com . They sell it, and they ship worldwide

Comment

As long as this "DRM" is non-intrusive and actually ads value to the game and DOES not infringe on the linux users "rights" (where rights is to use THEIR machine that THEY bought and MAINTAIN) then there will be no problem with this

This DRM will get hack FACT!
              The point is if this implementation of DRM pisses users off then they will look to bypass it!

EA is atm being taken to court over their use of SecuROM for DRM.
              As someone state in a thread on that topic

Stardock and Valve are the only PC game publishers that seem to get it. Valve has their own set of restrictions but the total ease of use and convenience that Steam brings to the table makes it super compelling. Don't make it harder to pirate, make your product easier to buy.

That's why things like iTunes and Amazon's mp3 services are successful: downloading isn't the problem because people are all criminals, downloading is the "problem" because it is easier to queue downloads on a computer than it is to go to the store. Make it as easy as or easier to download and legally purchase products as it is to list torrents or go on usenet, and the same honest people who will otherwise download without paying will actually pay.

As for the people who want to download goods without paying, well, nothing is going to stop them.
              And he is right.
              STEAM is good and is convinient.
              StarForce was NOT!! I use to rip images of my games to get around the "keep the DVD/CD in the draw" BS! and then Starforce would deny access to the game if it detected a virtual-drive...

IF this LGP-DRM even comes close to anything that awkward for the end user thats it from me buying from them EVER!
              if it isn't intrusive I don't care

anyway, X3 woohoo
              Last edited by Naib; 10 November 2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                I'm tempted to buy it, but there aren't any resellers for me here.
                I bought mine at tuxgames.com.

BTW, I was wondering, does LGP consider getting their products on Steam (if the rumours are true and Steam comes to Linux, very unlikely, I know) or a different webshop?
                Don't forget that given the fact that LGP just ports existing games, the distribution system must be authorized by the original developer / distributor.
                AFAIK, thus far, only Steam and Stardock's OD are used to distribute games over the net. (And as long as there is no Linux version of both...)

The big anti-DRM thread has already been created 6 months ago. Go over there if you feel the need to talk about it. Don't ruin the party over here again, please.
                Amen to that.

- Gilboa
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

I wonder if they should release some sort of demo. I tried X2 and I got completely overwhelmed by the controls.

How about X3?

Comment

Originally posted by Eragon View Post
                    @MaestroMaus: If you want another webshop to buy it from, go to www.tuxgames.com . They sell it, and they ship worldwide
                    Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    I bought mine at tuxgames.com...
                    Thanks, I'll look into it (I don't like making accounts, but it's for the good cause I guess).

@NAIB & all other anti-DRM'ers
                    We know your against it, we know all of those famous statements, we have had tons and tons of these kind of posts here over at Phoronix (and many have already read them as well on other places). Plz, don't start it all over here again, plz, plz, plz!

EDIT:
                    Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
                    I wonder if they should release some sort of demo. I tried X2 and I got completely overwhelmed by the controls.
                    X3 is the same in the controls department. It's a design-choice made by the developer. The Windows game works exactly the same.

EDIT2:
                    Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    I bought mine at tuxgames.com.
                    AFAIK, thus far, only Steam and Stardock's OD are used to distribute games over the net. (And as long as there is no Linux version of both...)
                    http://www.playgreenhouse.com/ could be an alternative, but I see your point.
                    Last edited by MaestroMaus; 10 November 2008, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X