Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI R600 DRI 3D Work Gets Closer

Phoronix: ATI R600 DRI 3D Work Gets Closer

Yesterday we shared about the experimental DRI2 work for the Radeon driver and today we have another open-source ATI accomplishment worth sharing: the R600/770 DRI support is nearing a working state. Matthias Hopf, one of the Novell developers working on the xf86-video-radeonhd driver, has stated that the Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI) support needed for 3D acceleration with the R600/700 series is getting closer. In Matthias Hopf's blog post he has stated that they are getting close and there's just very few registers they now don't understand...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSStrike!

Comment

Oh god, I hope so. Feels like I've been waiting forever for this. At least the Catalyst drivers aren't locking up my machine anymore but they're still a bit glitchy.

Comment

mhh but more important than 3D, for mobility is power management!

Comment

Excellent news - thanks to all involved!

Comment

Is Novell making these drivers now without any documentation from AMD?

It was my understanding, that AMD had provided Red Hat till R600/R700 documentation under a NDA until the legal issues were resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
              Is Novell making these drivers now without any documentation from AMD?

It was my understanding, that AMD had provided Red Hat till R600/R700 documentation under a NDA until the legal issues were resolved.
              Check out this post by Bridgman

Comment

Originally posted by panda84 View Post
                Check out this post by Bridgman
                It is a VERY interesting post, but I am still confused...

The article today, or the blog post, sounds like it is Novell that done progress, and is sort of really to release their work?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                  It is a VERY interesting post, but I am still confused...

The article today, or the blog post, sounds like it is Novell that done progress, and is sort of really to release their work?
                  We (AMD) work directly with Novell and Redhat on driver stuff. In the case of r6xx/r7xx 3D, most of the work thus far has been done by Matthias and I working in collaboration.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                    We (AMD) work directly with Novell and Redhat on driver stuff. In the case of r6xx/r7xx 3D, most of the work thus far has been done by Matthias and I working in collaboration.
                    I see... That makes sense then, that it is a Novell guy that brings the good news =)

Btw. Do AMD developers use Compiz? =)

Comment

Working...
                    X