Different distro's and optimizations :Suggestion:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different distro's and optimizations :Suggestion:

I understand it takes time to run benchmarks and report on them.

But something I have wanted to see, similar to the vista, wine and cedega benches that were run some time ago now, is the possibility of also throwing in a test that has different compile options set for the distro.

Say we want to benchmark vista, wine and cedega again. Then lets say we use a standard distro like Ubuntu or FC or whatever. We then also use a base distro like Gentoo or Crux, or even LFS. Any distro that is compiled. Use the default flags just like the more mainstream distro's use i386 and then also set flags that are specifically tailored to that machines cpu.

This way people can actually see if optimizations actually make a difference for wine and cedega and we can see how this reflects with vista or XP and even with the game performance for native games.

I'm not trying to push the distro's that need to be compiled, I am just trying to see if there is any real benefit to gaming with it. Just because my system is compiled specifically for my cpu I would think it would almost have to improve performance for me somehow. Maybe not in frames per second but maybe memory management or something. I don't know for sure but this is something I am interested in seeing.

Anyways take this post with a grain of salt, I just wanted to let Phoronix know what I was thinking.

Thnx

the more mainstream distro's use i386
    I don't know where people get this idea. Even Debian requires 486 these days...

Comment

It's due to the fact you can't compile glibc for i386 anymore (dropped in 2.4). If it weren't for that,

Comment

Working...
      X