1.25GB Single channel vs 1GB Dual Channel 400MHz DDR1 RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just repeated my memtes86 of a sempron 3400+

The reported speed results were identical when using a single stick of 2Gb DDR2 800 cas 5-5-5-18 or 2 sticks of DDR2 667 512Mb 4-4-4-11 !!!!

CPU 2007Mhz (FSB223)
    L1 16447 MB/s
    L2 3919MB/s
    MEM 2306MB/s

The same! Wow it's something with CPU? Maybe the reason faster mem doesnt usually show up is that the faster mem cant be used by most processors?

Comment

Since AMD cpus have the ram controller built in, perhaps your Sempron only supports 667Mhz max? I couldn't find this info anywhere, AMD really needs a similar processor spec finder as intel.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Since AMD cpus have the ram controller built in, perhaps your Sempron only supports 667Mhz max? I couldn't find this info anywhere, AMD really needs a similar processor spec finder as intel.
        That makes sense, it seems that there is some issue with the memory controller here. The boot screen reports that the memory is 64 bit on the single 2gb stick and 128bit on the dual 512Mb stick memory configuration. So there is something happening there but apparently not everything that needs to happen.

I'm considering getting a new processor. There are some real cheap low power dual cores out there....

Comment

I tried benchmarking memory when I got my Athlon64. Sure, dual channel boots faster and shows better memory benches, but real world (feel, non-memory benchmarks) it made no difference. With integrated memory controller, the only real factor is processor speed (which determines on chip cache speed).

Until you run out of cache (or, yikes, have to swap).

The Prescott with shared video ram is a whole different animal.

As a guess, since you can get decent performance now, either of your upgrades would be better. I'd save up for a new mem/mobo/cpu and keep my eyes open for old machines to scavenge from.

Comment

Dual channel makes a *huge* difference only if have onboard graphics which uses system memory or a graphics card with a small amount of VRAM (i.e. 64MB).

The difference gets bigger as you increase the resolution of the games/apps you use. If you have a 32MB,64MB or even a 128MB card, you can also increase the GART size in the BIOS to at least double the amount of your VRAM for even better performance at higher resolutions.

Dual channel RAM will also improve performance and reduce latencies if you use audio production software like Cubase,Sonar,Rosegarden,Ardour,Reaper,etc.

For everything else,there's no difference.
            Last edited by tuxdriver; 13 February 2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

I just replaced my Sempron 3400+ with an Athlon 5050e and repeated the 2 memory tests with bus speed set at 223Mhz

using 2 sticks of 512M 533 ddr2 gives
              L1 23758MB/s
              L2 4425MB/s
              Mem 2516MB/s
              322Mhz DDR 644 4-4-4-11 DDR2 128bit

one stick of 2GB 800 ddr2 gives
              L1 23757MB/s
              L2 4425MB/s
              Mem 2516MB/s
              322Mhz DDR 644 5-5-5-18 DDR2 64bit

as before there is no apparent difference in payback of youtube between the two sets of memory but the change in CPU was a huge difference. This CP was $70 US at the egg.

Almost exactly the same. but everything is faster than the 3400+ and it does really show up in playback of youtube.

Comment

Working...
              X