Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonHD Driver Adds RV710/730 Support

Phoronix: RadeonHD Driver Adds RV710/730 Support

When reviewing the Radeon HD 4670 and Radeon HD 4550 we found neither solution to be open-source friendly. Due to changes between the RV770 that powers the Radeon HD 4800 series and the newer RV710 and RV730 GPUs, these graphics cards wouldn't cooperate with the xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd drivers. The open-source drivers would only work with the ATI RV710/730 GPUs when using an analog D-Sub interface...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm starting to stop being entertained by this delay After ditching NV for ATI, it now looks like Intel will be my next vendor (once they release Larabee).

Comment

Well, thats a start.

Comment

AtomBIOS is ATI's video BIOS abstraction layer that is supposed to conceal most of the chip-to-chip differences from the driver, but it wasn't the magical savior this time around.
        This is not AMD's position on AtomBIOS and it never has been. If it was, we would have designed it around a higher level "frozen API". Instead, the API evolves as we add significant new hardware blocks but those changes can be handled more quickly and more easily than by directly accessing registers.

The purpose of AtomBIOS is to "significantly reduce" the effort required to support new chips and to let us leverage already-tested code. We are not attempting to provide a "frozen" API -- that is the driver's job -- just to expose as much of the chip-specific functionality as possible in a manner which requires less effort to support than direct hardware programming.
        Last edited by bridgman; 07 November 2008, 10:12 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Sadly this support only allows for mode-setting but no video, 2D, or 3D acceleration.
          In other words, I can get a picture with my 4670, but no acceleration.
          Correct ?
          I just want to fiddle around a little bit with Solaris, no fancy stuff planned.

I hope it will work

cheers & thx to the programmers.

Opteron

Comment

No hardware acceleration. You do get shadowfb acceleration (software rendering into system memory with changes blitted up to the frame buffer) which is surprisingly fast. Seems to be pretty useable for normal 2D work and for playing SD videos through X11 output, as long as your CPU is reasonably fast.

Hardware acceleration is in the works, of course.
            Test signature

Comment

Thx bridgman for your fast reply

Sounds good, I am a newbee to Solaris, thus I guess it will be ok for me I am just worring about the (alpha/beta) driver installation, but I got some Linux experiences, i.e. nothing can shock me ^^

bb

Opteron

Comment

I think Alan included radeonhd 1.2.3 into a Solaris build recently, so (fingers crossed) it shouldn't be too bad if you pick up the right bits to begin with.
                Test signature

Comment

I have an ATI 4850 and use Solaris Nevada b103. It works fine for 2D. 3D is not available yet. Very soon OpenSolaris 2008.11 will be out. Maybe you coudl try that in VirtualBox?

Comment

Working...
                  X