Open Source Driver on HD 3200 Fedora 10 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the very top of the page you linked to:

Radeon X2000 - X4870: work in 2D, 3D support is under development and first working 3D snapshot drivers are probably available by the end of 2008.
    That's a pretty straight answer.

There is no 2D or 3D acceleration for r600 or newer GPUs in *any* open source driver. None. Zero. Zilch.

Modesetting is available for those GPUs via the radeon and radeonhd driver. That's it. That's all :-)

Comment

Originally posted by spikethehobbitmage View Post
      http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature (x.org) lists 2D acceleration for R600 chips as unknown for radeon driver
      radeonhd has 2D support as of 1.2.2

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon (freedesktop.org) claims 3D support for both

Fedora 10 includes xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0
      that version is about 4 months old
      you probably need to build from git

also, check to see if the kernel module is loading

in any case, try the stub xorg.conf

my kingdom for a straight answer :/
      Thanks for pointing me in the write direction. I'll try the stub xorg.conf, and potentially build a new module from git. In looking at the output of lsmod, the module isn't loading. In fact, I can't tell what it did load. I would have expected that it would fall back to the vesa driver, by that module doesn't appear to be loaded either. Maybe there is a built in frame buffer driver, and that's what I'm getting?

Anyway, I'll also check with the Fedora team to see if they are planning to include a new ati driver.

Thanks again for all the help. It's much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by andrig View Post
        Thanks for pointing me in the write direction. I'll try the stub xorg.conf, and potentially build a new module from git. In looking at the output of lsmod, the module isn't loading. In fact, I can't tell what it did load. I would have expected that it would fall back to the vesa driver, by that module doesn't appear to be loaded either. Maybe there is a built in frame buffer driver, and that's what I'm getting?

Anyway, I'll also check with the Fedora team to see if they are planning to include a new ati driver.

Thanks again for all the help. It's much appreciated.
        Again, you are probably getting basic modesetting functionality from the radeon driver. You will not get, and can not get, 2D or 3D acceleration from that driver yet, no matter how new of a version you compile from git.

Adam

Comment

radeonhd has 2D support as of 1.2.2
          Limuited to R500.

Comment

radeonHD supports R600 in 2D, just not 3D
            I wasn't sure about radeon, but R500 seems to be the limit

Comment

Just a caution here -- a lot of people use "2d", "modesetting" and "video acceleration" interchangeably. It's a lot less confusing if you keep them separate :

* modesetting : ability to enable display and set modes, ie ability to see a desktop properly on the screen. May also include shadowfb acceleration -- having the software rendering paths draw into a virtual screen in system memory for higher performance then blitting changes up to the frame buffer on the video card

* 2d - hardware acceleration of 2d drawing APIs, typically XAA and/or EXA

* video - hardware acceleration of video rendering APIs, typically XV

Some folks talk about the open drivers "having 2d support" because they light up the screen and let you apparently do everything, except 3d is really slow and video is somewhat slow. That is just modesetting support with shadowfb acceleration, but shadowfb runs almost as fast as basic hw 2d accel these days.

Both open drivers have full modesetting support for everything up to 770, plus partial modesetting support for the just-released 710 and 730. Full modesetting support for 710 and 730 is being added to radeonhd now and may already be complete (not sure, I was away for a week). Both drivers have shadowfb - you can call that 2d acceleration but it's less confusing if you don't

Both open drivers have 2d, video and acceleration support for GPUs up to r5xx and rs690. Past that, both drivers have shadowfb acceleration only. We are working on getting 2d, video and 3d support for 6xx and 7xx, including rs780, out now. Unlike previous generations where 2d accel, video accel and 3d accel came out in stages separated by 2-3 months, support for the three different areas of acceleration are likely to come out relatively close together this time.
              Last edited by bridgman; 07 November 2008, 10:02 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

I stand corrected. Thank-you.

This, ladies and gentlemen, was the definitive straight answer.

Comment

Fedora 10 includes xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.9.0
                  that version is about 4 months old
                  you probably need to build from git
                  Well, Fedora versioning for ati driver doesn't perfectly match the upstream one. If I'm not wrong, Fedora version of the driver is often even ahead of the git because they maintain their own patches (for example the 6.9.0 in Fedora 10 supports kernel modesetting).
                  So if you use rawhide you'll be quite sure to have nearly the latest driver.

If you want you can take a look at the changelog of the driver here:

Comment

Working...
                  X