No announcement yet.

Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing the previous Creative cards were always good for was budget music production, using the kX drivers in windows and as10k1 and other tools on Linux. The simple EMU10k1 DSP was easy to program in 10k1 assembly. I still have a Live 5.1 in my system because of that. If the X-fi DSP can be similarly programmed (and if it can do hardware 3D then it probably can), then Creative might become interesting on Linux once again.

Comment

This driver works well in 2.6.27 on an Auzentech Prelude, and supports hardware mixing and resampling of multiple sound sources just like the 10k1 chips do. SPDIF I/O works as well.

Of note, 24 bit output spits out garbage fuzzy sound. I'm sure once Takashi takes a crack at this driver any bugs will be fixed in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by izual View Post
        Come on, everbody has a litte masochist inside himself

Well, I do not own a X-Fi but back in early 2004 I was impressed by the Audigy2 cards. Today I think a onboard card, like an ALC888, is sufficient. X-Fi makes sense if you are a (hardcore)gamer under Windows.

But I still love those I/O hubs ^^
        The ALC888 is a good chip but a properly working Xfi sounds far better and has no interference from the MOBO. So saying it only makes sense for games is really not true.

Comment

Nice in multiple ways

It's good to see yet another company open source a driver. I think the phoronix article doesn't really make clear how important it is for users to have open source drivers, and thus how good it is of creative to have open sourced this one.

Just today I was looking at X58 motherboards, when I came upon the MSI Eclipse SLI. That really seems to be an amazing motherboard, and it comes with an X-Fi on-board. It does use a card for the connectors (looks like PCIe-x1), but it seemed like the chip was on the motherboard itself. I was thinking about what a waste it would be to buy it just because of the soundcard. I also tend to forget that I don't really need a sound-card, because I have Logitech Z-10 speakers which are connected via USB. However in the future I might need a second sound output (doesn't really matter how, just that I can control it seperately) and I don't like having unsupported hardware at all, so this is definately a good thing...
          Regards,

Michael

Comment

Creative was the Largest Hold-out Hardware Vendor until this announcement, who will take their place?

Comment

Originally posted by mycroes View Post
              It's good to see yet another company open source a driver. I think the phoronix article doesn't really make clear how important it is for users to have open source drivers, and thus how good it is of creative to have open sourced this one.

Just today I was looking at X58 motherboards, when I came upon the MSI Eclipse SLI. That really seems to be an amazing motherboard, and it comes with an X-Fi on-board. It does use a card for the connectors (looks like PCIe-x1), but it seemed like the chip was on the motherboard itself. I was thinking about what a waste it would be to buy it just because of the soundcard. I also tend to forget that I don't really need a sound-card, because I have Logitech Z-10 speakers which are connected via USB. However in the future I might need a second sound output (doesn't really matter how, just that I can control it seperately) and I don't like having unsupported hardware at all, so this is definately a good thing...
              Regards,

Michael
              As I understand it, the "X-Fi" sound that comes with some motherboards isn't really an X-Fi at all - it's just a cheap, dumb integrated sound solution, with all the 3D support and processing done by software running on the computer. (Apparently, at least a couple of the standalone X-Fi cards - the Extreme Audio and Extreme Audio Notebook - are basically the same, which means they have Linux support but offer no real advantage to Linux users over onboard sound.)

Comment

Nvidia?

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
                Creative was the Largest Hold-out Hardware Vendor until this announcement, who will take their place?
                I think nvidia will, and already has... nvidia has a history of creating binary drivers, often very incompatible. Other than nvidia I think we'll have to focus on motherboard manufacturers. For example gigabyte has some nice stuff that only works in windows (some powersaving led feature has been mentioned on phoronix iirc, I also have it but my case is closed for about 99.99% of the time). Also Apple has a way of not supporting stuff in Linux, like the iPhone or iPod Touch. Ever since I stepped away from my Mac Mini I have only synced my iPod Touch once, and just for music.

Comment

Originally posted by makomk View Post
                  As I understand it, the "X-Fi" sound that comes with some motherboards isn't really an X-Fi at all - it's just a cheap, dumb integrated sound solution, with all the 3D support and processing done by software running on the computer.
                  I could be entirely wrong on this (and I'm certainly not an expert in this area), but I thought I read something about the card on the MSI Eclipse SLI being one of the real hardware ones, and especially not a software card. I could of course be wrong, so if I'm going to buy anything with a creative card on it I now know to double check the capabilities.

Comment

LOL they better change the download page.

Welcome to Creative Worldwide Support. Get technical help for your Creative products through Knowledgebase Solutions, firmware updates, driver downloads and more.

Notice the Nice EULA

CREATIVE END-USER SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT (for Web Software)
                    Version 2.9, September 2006
                    PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY. YOU HAVE AGREED TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT BEFORE DOWNLOADING THE SOFTWARE FROM THE INTERNET.
                    LICENSE
                    Grant of License
                    The Software is licensed, not sold, to you for use only under the terms of this Agreement. This License Agreement is your proof of license to exercise the rights granted herein and must be retained by you. As between you and Creative (and, to the extent applicable, its licensors), Creative retains all title to and ownership of the Software and reserves all rights not expressly granted to you.
                    Creative grants to you the right to use all or a portion of this Software provided that
                    (a) the Software is not distributed for profit;
                    (b) the Software is used only in conjunction with Creative's family of products;
                    ? the Software may NOT be modified; and
                    (d) all copyright notices are maintained on the Software.]

No Merger or Integration
                    You may not merge any portion of the Software into, or integrate any portion of the Software with, any other program, except to the extent expressly permitted by the laws of the jurisdiction where you are located. Any portion of the Software merged into or integrated with another program, if any, will continue to be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, and you must reproduce on the merged or integrated portion all copyright and other proprietary rights notices included on the originals of the Software.
                    Limitations on Using, Copying, and Modifying the Software
                    Except to the extent expressly permitted by this Agreement or by the laws of the jurisdiction where you acquired the Software, you may not use, copy or modify the Software. Nor may you sub-license any of your rights under this Agreement. You may use the Software for your personal use only, and not for public performance or for the creation of publicly displayed videotapes.

Decompiling, Disassembling, or Reverse Engineering
                    You acknowledge that the Software contains trade secrets and other proprietary information of Creative and its licensors. Except to the extent expressly permitted by this Agreement or by the laws of the jurisdiction where you are located, you may not decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer the Software, or engage in any other activities to obtain underlying information that is not visible to the user in connection with normal use of the Software.

In particular, you agree not for any purpose to transmit the Software or display the Software's object code on any computer screen or to make any hardcopy memory dumps of the Software's object code. If you believe you require information related to the interoperability of the Software with other programs, you shall not decompile or disassemble the Software to obtain such information, and you agree to request such information from Creative at the address listed below. Upon receiving such a request, Creative shall determine whether you require such information for a legitimate purpose and, if so, Creative will provide such information to you within a reasonable time and on reasonable conditions.

Comment

Got them installed and it works well and suonds much better than the OSS drivers.

Comment

Working...
                      X