Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD Drive issues

Hello Everybody

This is a problem I have been having on numerous occasions over the years and I still dont really know the answer to it, and I just wondered if anybody on this forum can answer it.

Take for example my new setup a asus p5q motherboard and a ide DVD drive.

Try to install lenny - had to use ide-generic-all parameter to get it to load but then the dvd wouldnt mount. Solution new sata DVD everything worked.

Try to install ubuntu - new sata dvd -no install
    old ide DVD - no install

What is the problem with cd/DVD drives with linux. Is it a hardware problem is it a kernel problem or am i just pretty rubbish at picking cd/DVD drives

Thanks Dan

What version of ubuntu are you trying? I know there were issues with the marvell ide controllers found on those motherboards with older kernels and that could explain the issues you are seeing with the old IDE drive. With your SATA drive you might have to setup the the SATA IDE controller in the bios as IDE instead of AHCI.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      What version of ubuntu are you trying? I know there were issues with the marvell ide controllers found on those motherboards with older kernels and that could explain the issues you are seeing with the old IDE drive. With your SATA drive you might have to setup the the SATA IDE controller in the bios as IDE instead of AHCI.
      Thanks for the reply deanjo

ubuntu 8.10 and I have just tried changing the ide settings with no luck.

by the way the old dvd was connected to a hotrod udma 66 pcicard not the marvel but it still didnt work. Pretty sure it worked fine under etch though.

Dan
      Last edited by Dan Harris; 06 November 2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

There is some really, really bad blank DVD-RW and DVD+RW media available on store shelves. I've had to throw away entire spindles on occasion.

These days I pay through the nose for made-in-Japan Taiyo Uden blanks and find the reliability of using DVD/RW has gone way, way up. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a problem using the TY media.

Taiwan-made Verbatims are pretty good, too, if you can find 'em, but most of the Verbatims I see these days come from India and don't work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
          There is some really, really bad blank DVD-RW and DVD+RW media available on store shelves. I've had to throw away entire spindles on occasion.

These days I pay through the nose for made-in-Japan Taiyo Uden blanks and find the reliability of using DVD/RW has gone way, way up. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a problem using the TY media.

Taiwan-made Verbatims are pretty good, too, if you can find 'em, but most of the Verbatims I see these days come from India and don't work as well.
          Hello rbmorse

Its not a cd/dvd issue (I am using the cd) but I have just installed ubuntu using qemu and the ubuntu iso ripped from my cd and all is working. (Its the first time I have used qemu - How cool is that.)

So it must have something to do with the dvd drive not being recognised.

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X