System Freeze on Switch user

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wintervenom View Post
    The solution at/near the end of this thread solved my problem, maybe they will help you guys, too. (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57084&p=3)
    Having trawled through a few pages of the thread you've linked to, and being none the wiser due to the large number of slightly differing issues mentioned along with solutions that may or may not work, it occurs to me that it would be easier if you just told us which particular problem/solution it is you are referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by duffster View Post
      Having trawled through a few pages of the thread you've linked to, and being none the wiser due to the large number of slightly differing issues mentioned along with solutions that may or may not work, it occurs to me that it would be easier if you just told us which particular problem/solution it is you are referring to?
      I hope this does not come across too negative. I have patiently tolerated the ATI problems in both my Thinkpads in the last 4 years.

I am fortunate in that my Thinkpad has hybrid graphics in the form of an integrated Intel video card beside the HD3650. Since switching to the Intel card in the BIOS, I have not had a single crash, it can still play videos properly, do KDE4 effects without any hassle, albeit slower than the ATI card.

I will switch back to ATI once they open-source their driver (perhaps never), since I do not think they have realised that driver stability is far more important than flashy features.

Niel

Comment

Not sure if this problem is described by a "known issue" added to the 9.2 release notes:
        ? X-Server may stop responding or shutdown when loading some Open GL
        applications on a secondary display
        Does "secondary display" refer to e.g. "startx -- :2" or to a multi-monitor setup?

Comment

Originally posted by niella View Post
          I will switch back to ATI once they open-source their driver (perhaps never), since I do not think they have realised that driver stability is far more important than flashy features.

Niel
          niella, just wanted to make sure you knew that we had open source driver support for your 3650 already -- right now modesetting, EXA and Xv acceleration are running and mesa is being worked on now.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by duffster View Post
            I tried the suggested solution in message 174 on page 7 in that thread. Didn't do any good at all...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              niella, just wanted to make sure you knew that we had open source driver support for your 3650 already -- right now modesetting, EXA and Xv acceleration are running and mesa is being worked on now.
              Thanks for that bridgman, I didn't know... which driver is this? I have tried radeonhd, but its power consumption is very high 35W vs 12W using the Intel - when I logged a bug I was told the driver lacked any proper power management features.

I'd rather patiently wait for this driver than any more waiting for changes in fglrx, since I get crashes in mplayer and on logout with the latter.

Niel

Comment

Both radeonhd and radeon have the acceleration support added, although I expect power consumption would be similar on the two drivers. Am I reading your numbers correctly in the sense that you are comparing the radeonhd/3650 combo with Intel, not with fglrx/3650 ?
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Both radeonhd and radeon have the acceleration support added, although I expect power consumption would be similar on the two drivers. Am I reading your numbers correctly in the sense that you are comparing the radeonhd/3650 combo with Intel, not with fglrx/3650 ?
                  Booting with the ATI card enabled and the Intel one disabled, my laptop (Lenovo W500 with hybrid graphics) will use 35W until I start X, at which point it comes down to an acceptable level of 15W or so (this is using fglrx). It does not make a difference if I load the fglrx driver before starting X, text mode always ends up with high power usage.

If I use radeonhd (using either the opensuse provided version or the git branches for drm and xf86-video-radeonhd), power consumption always remain high @ 32-35W, whether in X or text console.

If I boot with the Intel card, consumption is low (9-12W) whether in text console or X.

Niel

Comment

New driver (fglrx 9.3), same problem (total freeze on user switch). And no mention of this in the "Known issues" section of the Release notes?!
                    As soon as I have the money, I'll switch to Nvidia...

Comment

Same here. I don't remember this feature actually ever working for me with any Catalyst release.

Comment

Working...
                      X