OpenCL: What does it mean for linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL: What does it mean for linux?

Just wondering if it will have any particular implications. Will it require special drivers like OpenGL3? What capabilities would it give? How does it relate to Stream SDK?

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
    Just wondering if it will have any particular implications. Will it require special drivers like OpenGL3?
    OGL 3 will not be required

What capabilities would it give?
    For apps that can take advantage of massive threading it could mean HUGE gains in speed as well could allow excellent hardware assisted playback of video.

How does it relate to Stream SDK?
    Stream will be put out to pasture and die as it would be rendered obsolete.

Comment

That sounds great. I would love to use that with BOINC.

So it won't require any special drivers? Will it just add some extra abstraction layer?

Comment

Given that only Intel's drivers are worth a damn for Linux, not too much.

The only Intel graphics on the roadmap capable of running anything more complex than a spreadsheet won't need OpenCL.

Okay, jokes aside.. It should be like CUDA, except vendor-neutral. I.e. you'll need compatible hardware and drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
          Given that only Intel's drivers are worth a damn for Linux, not too much.

The only Intel graphics on the roadmap capable of running anything more complex than a spreadsheet won't need OpenCL.

Okay, jokes aside.. It should be like CUDA, except vendor-neutral. I.e. you'll need compatible hardware and drivers.
          There is no reason why Larabee can't use openCL, in fact intel is also part of the openCL group.

Comment

I didn't say can't use, I just said won't need. Larrabee is so different from the red and green teams' GPUs that they will want to offer something different and perhaps higher-level (perhaps as simple as a compiler extension for Larrabee's vector extensions).

Comment

Originally posted by joffe View Post
              I didn't say can't use, I just said won't need. Larrabee is so different from the red and green teams' GPUs that they will want to offer something different and perhaps higher-level (perhaps as simple as a compiler extension for Larrabee's vector extensions).
              The whole idea of openCL is to get rid of proprietary solutions and have one common solution there is nothing stopping using Larrabee's vector extensions in openCL. I really can't see intel pulling a backwards step by offering their own solution, that would be equivelent to pulling a 3dFX and saying "Screw OGL and DX we support Glide".

Comment

Heh, told ya, I really should be a market analysist:

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Heh, told ya, I really should be a market analysist:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-stream-author

update from the article

Stream is a long time benchmark for HPC type applications. It is not the ATI Stream GPGPU stuff, nor is it related in any way. John McCalpin, as far as we know had nothing to do with ATI Stream, just his Stream. Sorry for the crossed Streams, Zuul will not be crossing over any more
                  keep your day job.

Comment

Working...
                  X