Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Game Handheld?

Any thoughts on this?

When you think about portable gaming gadgets, it's hard to rattle off a hefty list of possibilities. They mostly follow a path of heavy marketing -- the Nintendo DS and the PlayStation Portable are heavily advertised, and their sales are strong. But some hardcore gamers have become attracted to devices exclusively designed and marketed for homebrew or do-it-yourself applications. The Internet provides a clear road map to Web sites that sell homebrew games and gaming devices. However, most of what's out there is technology made to enhance mainstream devices.

I'm always a cynic with these things.

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Any thoughts on this?

When you think about portable gaming gadgets, it's hard to rattle off a hefty list of possibilities. They mostly follow a path of heavy marketing -- the Nintendo DS and the PlayStation Portable are heavily advertised, and their sales are strong. But some hardcore gamers have become attracted to devices exclusively designed and marketed for homebrew or do-it-yourself applications. The Internet provides a clear road map to Web sites that sell homebrew games and gaming devices. However, most of what's out there is technology made to enhance mainstream devices.

I'm always a cynic with these things.
    The Wiz is a baby step upgrade to the GP2X. It's got an ARM11 and a OpenGL ES 1.1 capable GPU amongst other things... It's nice. Think of it as something like an N800 with the GPU turned on and tuned for gaming and only that.

The Pandora, on the other hand, is perhaps the most powerful gaming handheld to be fielded to date. It's more of a super-MID tuned for gaming. Cortex-A8, the next generation of the TI DaVinci DSP engine, a PowerVR SGX (OpenGL ES 1.1 AND 2.0 support...), 256Mb of RAM, 512Mb of NAND store with a JFFS2 filesystem on it. Put double the memory on a Beagleboard and put it into a handheld and you've got the Pandora. (Picture something on the order of a GC or X-Box in the palm of your hand... )

Comment

Careful, with all that advertising someone might think you're in some way associated with Pandora

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Careful, with all that advertising someone might think you're in some way associated with Pandora
        I've had one of the Pandoras in my possession. I'm not directly affiliated with them, but I am stating the facts of the devices as they're stated on their info sites and putting them into perspective.

Both are nice, but one's over-the-top nice.

Comment

The problem with the pandora is that it's to hard to get your hands on one. :P (next batch is going on sale at the end of decemeber, at the earliest, and are expected to ship around march...)

Comment

And also that they are so expensive, since they are so powerful. $300 for a handheld is on the high margin. The next release of it is supposed to be able to play doom3 according to the devs.

The Wiz seems to try to imitate the nds stylus, wonder if it works as good. Anyone has one of these devices?

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
              And also that they are so expensive, since they are so powerful. $300 for a handheld is on the high margin. The next release of it is supposed to be able to play doom3 according to the devs.
              Heh... You've not been tracking what they've been up to. They upped the RAM footprint to 256Mb on the first batch. It may be able to do Doom3 out of the gate (Even if it's not available yet...).

The Wiz seems to try to imitate the nds stylus, wonder if it works as good. Anyone has one of these devices?
              Not yet. It's in my plans to obtain one (It's better to try to get the port projects where they will work with as many as you possibly can realistically wedge the things... Some of the projects I've got in mind for Pandora will also go on the Wiz (though it may not be fast enough...the Cortex in the Pandora makes it go a LOT faster... )- so I'm interested in seeing just where things will go, including on the Wiz and the Beagleboard.
              Last edited by Svartalf; 04 November 2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Heh... You've not been tracking what they've been up to. They upped the RAM footprint to 256Mb on the first batch. It may be able to do Doom3 out of the gate (Even if it's not available yet...).
                REally? Damn, hopefull they wont up the price too! Now thats a very cool porting project for doom3 after it's GPL'ed.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                Not yet. It's in my plans to obtain one (It's better to try to get the port projects where they will work with as many as you possibly can realistically wedge the things... Some of the projects I've got in mind for Pandora will also go on the Wiz (though it may not be fast enough...the Cortex in the Pandora makes it go a LOT faster... )- so I'm interested in seeing just where things will go, including on the Wiz and the Beagleboard.
                Ah, cool, so are these projects side projects of yours, or are they being done officially by LGP? I'd been meaning to get a handheld console for a while now, but i cant decide which one yet. Good that i didnt buy anything yet, before knowing about these open handhelds. I knew about the gp2x, but i didnt like the fact that it didnt have any network capabilities. Do you know if the Wiz will have some?

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                  REally? Damn, hopefull they wont up the price too! Now thats a very cool porting project for doom3 after it's GPL'ed.
                  No... Price isn't going up.

Ah, cool, so are these projects side projects of yours, or are they being done officially by LGP? I'd been meaning to get a handheld console for a while now, but i cant decide which one yet. Good that i didnt buy anything yet, before knowing about these open handhelds. I knew about the gp2x, but i didnt like the fact that it didnt have any network capabilities. Do you know if the Wiz will have some?
                  Side projects initially. Should go somewhere once I get one or two done and have something to show for myself (Finally getting the &#!!~% sound sorted for Bandits, even...sigh...).

Comment

Hehe... looks like sound is getting the best of you right there.

That said I did not get any of those consoles yet. I'm indecisive about which one to get... if I can't Linux it I won't get it ( as I have plans for porting my game engine on various platforms if things work out the way they should :P ).

Comment

Working...
                    X