Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockup with fglrx-8.10

Hi,

I've just recently bought an HD3850 based card, and I am experiencing troubles getting it to work with Linux.
    I am using OpenSuse-10.3, and I tried fglrx-8.9 and 8.10 - both lock up my computer when starting X (not even Num-Lock does respond).

This is my system configuration:
    - NForce-4 based Socket-754 Epox board
    - AMD Sempron64 3100+
    - Saphire Radeon HD3850, 512mb ram, PCI-E
    - OpenSuse 10.3 (32 bit)
    - No framebuffer enabled (plain text-console)

Any idea what could be the reason for these lock-ups, or how I could extract some information that could be useful for finding the real cause?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

ok, 2 major things need to be addressed.
    1) which linux kernel are you using.
    2) what version of xorg is in use?

i assume that the xorg version of yours in the latest one which is in use with ubuntu 8.10... if that's the case you'll need to look at using the beta fix involving the xorg driver that also comes with ubuntu 8.10.

Comment

No, I am using OpenSuse-10.3 which uses Kernel-2.6.16 and Xorg-7.3/xserver-1.3 - so nothing very new, should be supported by fglrx out-of-the-box (is also mentioned as supported distribution).

Thanks, Clemens

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
        Hi,

Any idea what could be the reason for these lock-ups, or how I could extract some information that could be useful for finding the real cause?

Thank you in advance, Clemens
        You could try holding down <alt><SysRq> then press/release S followed by u and then b.

If it reboots you may have some info saved in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Comment

Re:SysRq

If you are having the same problem I am, you may need to wait 10-15 seconds after the hang before the keyboard starts working again. There should be sudden hard drive activity at that moment.

Comment

Interesting. The same problem I was having when running the latest ubuntu (intrepid) with its fglrx driver but with only S-video connected to a Saphire 3650 card. The boot goes ok, but when X come to load the whole system freezes with no video output. I can neither ssh or ping into the machine. The Xorg log also shows no information on this whatsoever neither does any other log.

Right now I must use vesa driver in order to get the TV-out, because neither of the available radeon drivers does the job.

Comment

APIC

one thing to check for is if your kernel is compiled without APIC support or your boot command line has noapic

if you can't boot without noapic you may need a newer kernel or a BIOS update

recent kernels have work arounds for many of these machines now, but some also need a BIOS update

Comment

Originally posted by spikethehobbitmage View Post
                one thing to check for is if your kernel is compiled without APIC support or your boot command line has noapic
                if you can't boot without noapic you may need a newer kernel or a BIOS update recent kernels have work arounds for many of these machines now, but some also need a BIOS update
                Nope, NOAPIC option doesn't change a thing. Loading X still freezes the computer. Reverting back to vesa.

Comment

aljaz, it may still be a misconfigured APIC. If that is the case, updating to a recent kernel and updating your BIOS may correct it.

Linuxhippy, are you still having problems? if so, please provide
                  kernel version
                  fglrx version
                  dmesg (if you can ssh in)
                  Xorg log

Comment

Originally posted by spikethehobbitmage View Post
                    aljaz, it may still be a misconfigured APIC. If that is the case, updating to a recent kernel and updating your BIOS may correct it.
                    Well, BIOS is the latest (it's an ASUS M2V MB with 2101 BIOS on board) and the kernel for the intrepid is the latest from the stable series, I guess (2.6.27) - not sure on what stable patch it is based on since the information is not evident from the changelog.

I'm also not fond of compiling a custom kernel, because I don't have the time and the will to play with that anymore - I just want a working mediabox .

Comment

Working...
                    X