GPU problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU problem?

I have been having problems with my newer graphics card since i got it and i wanted some input.

To further explain im a rather experienced user in *nix. Im well aware of the various distrobutions how to install.

Heres my problem i now have an evga 9600gt, gpu. By now have, i upgraded evga to the 9600, from a 8600 gts.

With the 8600gts i was able to get all my games to play near perfect some minor performance issues but everything worked. The distro was either ubuntu 7.10, or 8.04(not my first choice but best wine support i found) When i got my 9600gt swapped it in the games no longer worked(i dont have a the exact context seeing how this was earlier this year). Figured out it was a driver issue, upgraded the driver, that didn't work. Tried beta nothing. After reading around, found out there was a issue with the 9600gt driver and wine. I tried several different distrobutions. I checked back in a couple of months ago. I tried

Arch
    Gentoo
    Fedora
    Suse
    Ubuntu
    Debian
    etc.

Yes i know all these distros weren't neccesarry i just like to be thourough .

Couldn't get it to work again so after a couple of weeks i gave up and went back to windows. Now i didn't just do install wine, install nvidia driver. I checked out all the available drivers that worked for my card. I tried variuos versions of wine(pretty sure i tried shortly fter or before wine 1.X came out, tried compiling wine from scratch. Tweaked wine configs the works. Wine worked it was pertaining to the graphic portion that problems occured.

Also im aware of cedega and crossover *. I tried crossover, same error when trying to start up the game, pertaining to graphics. Cedega i asked support for a trial, i couldnt get one so i didnt bother.

I want to try this again, but before i start downloading every distro i can find i wanted to get a generalized opinion on which would be the best distro to try. For wine that is. Or if im having a larger problem.

Again i dont have the logs on hand. I did googling at the time and didnt find much, the few things that reported may work i tried and didnt work. I tried the typical dx8, x tweaking, wine tweaking etc.

Now to mention the games i want to play

Team Fortress 2
    Day of Defeat Source
    Valve Source SDK
    There are some other but these are the ones i play the most

I know there are no problems with these games, because i had them running flawlessly on my 8600 gts

Hardware really the only other thing i think i need to mention is my mother board is an ikp35-e. GPU is the 9600gt.

I would really like to get back to nix, any feedback is welcome.

Lastly i will clarify the card is fine, under windows it plays great. Under nix i was able to get 3d window manager working (i didnt have this running while playing games, it was meant as a simplet test) displayed fine, enemy territory quake wars native played. etc. So the physical hardware is fine im leaning to more of a driver issue.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X