Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year With OpenSolaris Binary Releases

Phoronix: One Year With OpenSolaris Binary Releases

It was one year ago to the day that the first developer preview of Sun Microsystem's Project Indiana was released and was called OpenSolaris, the same name that Sun had been using for their open-source Solaris code repository. Since then we have had the official release of OpenSolaris 2008.05 and version 2008.11 of OpenSolaris has been under development but is scheduled to be officially released in November.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

can someone tell me what drivers does opensolaris use for ATI GPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
      can someone tell me what drivers does opensolaris use for ATI GPUs?
      It only has the open-source xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd drivers for X.Org. Though they're not usually the most recent releases.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What bulletxt said + will OpenSolaris 2008.11 (or another coming release) ship the Marvell Yukon LAN drivers? I do not know if they aren't able due to legal reasons, that of course is a possibility, but it sucks not to have an internet connection out of the box

The screenshots look impressive though!

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          What bulletxt said + will OpenSolaris 2008.11 (or another coming release) ship the Marvell Yukon LAN drivers? I do not know if they aren't able due to legal reasons, that of course is a possibility, but it sucks not to have an internet connection out of the box

The screenshots look impressive though!
          Try the LiveCD/DVD

Or use this tool on Linux:

(but its only for 2008.05 and not for the upcoming 2008.11) so it detects maybe not all integrated drivers of the upcoming version

If the driver isn't integrated you find the driver here:

Comment

I wanted to give it a try to see how ZFS worked when I asked them if I could just use ZFS on a given partition, I was told by the developers that I would have to use ZFS on the whole disk. Since I have 1 disk and several Linux distros on it, I gave it a pass. There are also some ethernet adapters that are not covered by Solaris just as there are some not covered by some of the Linux distros that use older kernels. That is another show-stopper. I ran into this with PCLinux-OS although the Mini-Me version uses a far more recent kernel and covers the ethernet adapter that my motherboard has. It would help if there was a list published by the Solaris people that covered these points.

It does look pretty good but until I have a disk available to use for it and potentially some Linux distros that will allow ZFS as a file system, I think I will just wait a bit. I am just not in a position where I have the facilities to keep all the requisite backups to allow all these things myself although I wish I did have them. I love playing around with all the options. It has allowed me to weed out the distros I want to concern myself with and also sharpened me as to what I want my distro to be like and what I will not consider. Choices are great!

Comment

Originally posted by rhomp2002 View Post
              I wanted to give it a try to see how ZFS worked when I asked them if I could just use ZFS on a given partition, I was told by the developers that I would have to use ZFS on the whole disk. Since I have 1 disk and several Linux distros on it, I gave it a pass. There are also some ethernet adapters that are not covered by Solaris just as there are some not covered by some of the Linux distros that use older kernels. That is another show-stopper. I ran into this with PCLinux-OS although the Mini-Me version uses a far more recent kernel and covers the ethernet adapter that my motherboard has. It would help if there was a list published by the Solaris people that covered these points.

It does look pretty good but until I have a disk available to use for it and potentially some Linux distros that will allow ZFS as a file system, I think I will just wait a bit. I am just not in a position where I have the facilities to keep all the requisite backups to allow all these things myself although I wish I did have them. I love playing around with all the options. It has allowed me to weed out the distros I want to concern myself with and also sharpened me as to what I want my distro to be like and what I will not consider. Choices are great!
              I think thats not true. I tried installing it and it asked me the partition. It didn't want a hole hard disk!

anyways, my only problem with opensolaris is that it doesn't have native driver for my network card, Nvidia MCP67... and this sucks bad!

Comment

Didn't try to install it

I am going by what the people at the contact us told me. They were the ones who told me I needed to have the whole disk set up as ZFS; I could not just have a partition set up as ZFS and the rest of the disk as some oher format.

Comment

Working...
                X