Ask ati dev...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask ati dev...

Try install Ubuntu 8.10 with open source Radeon driver on an X1000 GPU equipped machine, compiz and video acceleration works together.

Is there something you devs need to learn from this driver? I bet you definitely do. Why can radeon driver solve the problem that you can't for several years?

I hope I can see a version of fglrx (8.11?) handles compiz + textured video too, under x.org 7.4. Otherwise it would be a total disappointment (although I have been in disappointment from beginning of last year, regards to fglrx)

I respectfully point out that Alex was working for AMD when he added that video code to radeon, although I guess anything after 2am probably qualifies as "his own time"

For completeness, I think Alex wrote TexVid for r1xx-r4xx, Dave got it running on 5xx, Alex fixed & tweaked it some more, Corbin added the bicubic filtering with help from... (auggh, brain overflowed). If I missed anyone feel free to correct me. Anyways, there were definitely some real good devs working on that code.

The technical difference is that radeon has dedicated code for Xv acceleration while fglrx uses the bottom end of the OpenGL stack for Xv. The result is that video data from radeon Xv can be redirected for Compiz, however without DRI2 or something similar the OpenGL output from fglrx can *not* be redirected.

CAD workstation users tend not to use Compiz (at least not on their CAD workstations ) although I imagine that will change eventually. The decision to use OpenGL for Xv predated the decision to start ramping up support for consumer usage of fglrx -- and so far Compiz has primarily been a consumer feature. On the other hand, the open source drivers have had a consumer focus for years and the video design decisions you see reflect that focus.
    Last edited by bridgman; 30 October 2008, 07:40 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      however without DRI2 or something similar the OpenGL output from fglrx can *not* be redirected.
      Is there any hope for us to see it in next several monthes?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulfer View Post
        Is there any hope for us to see it in next several monthes?
        I think for this we need to ask the DRI2 boy ^^. But some ppl say maybe with xserver 1.6

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          I think for this we need to ask the DRI2 boy ^^. But some ppl say maybe with xserver 1.6
          Hmm, not really soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulfer View Post
            Hmm, not really soon.
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
            X