Weird radeon driver issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird radeon driver issue

I have a Radeon X1800 card and when using the radeon driver on Ubuntu Intrepid 64-bit I have a weird issue with my monitor. Whenever I restart the computer my monitor has no signal, and it only gains a signal again if I unplug it for a few seconds then plug it back in.

I have a viewsonic monitor and it doesn't happen with the radeonhd driver or catalyst.

It could just be that my monitor is a bit screwy. I had a fairly common problem with my viewsonic vx2025wm where it was permanently without a signal for awhile and I had to mail it back to them so they could fix the hardware or firmware or something.

What could be causing this?

Originally posted by EmbraceUnity View Post
    I have a Radeon X1800 card and when using the radeon driver on Ubuntu Intrepid 64-bit I have a weird issue with my monitor. Whenever I restart the computer my monitor has no signal, and it only gains a signal again if I unplug it for a few seconds then plug it back in.

I have a viewsonic monitor and it doesn't happen with the radeonhd driver or catalyst.

It could just be that my monitor is a bit screwy. I had a fairly common problem with my viewsonic vx2025wm where it was permanently without a signal for awhile and I had to mail it back to them so they could fix the hardware or firmware or something.

What could be causing this?
    I've had something very similar happen to me once before. But my issue wasnt at all driver related, even though that's what I initially thought it was.. In my case I'd lose video signal when using the propriatary nvidia driver. I thought it was a problem with the driver, but one day I damaged the vga cable from the monitor, and replaced it, then I never had the problem ever again. I dont know what caused the problem, but once I replaced the VGA cable, the problem went away.

On most CRT's the VGA cable is soldered to the board, so they arent so easy to replace....
    Last edited by duby229; 30 October 2008, 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
    X