Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 Beta Released

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 Beta Released

Late last night Red Hat had announced the beta release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3. This development version of the next RHEL adds in many virtualization enhancements, NetworkManager 0.7 integration, stable open-source ATI R400/500 support through xf86-video-ati (and its Mesa component), SystemTap integration, many new kernel features, a horde of new kernel drivers, and many other changes. Provided as a technology preview in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 will be Compiz support for the desktop with AIGLX support, and GCC 4.3. The release announcement for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 can be read on the Red Hat mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am surprised that Red hat consider the new 3D drivers and Compiz stable enough to go into their enterprise server.

It is a well know fact that the theme manager for Compiz, Emerald, is buggy, and the Compiz folks says them self, that it can't be fixed. It have to be written from scratch to become stable.

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      I am surprised that Red hat consider the new 3D drivers and Compiz stable enough to go into their enterprise server.

It is a well know fact that the theme manager for Compiz, Emerald, is buggy, and the Compiz folks says them self, that it can't be fixed. It have to be written from scratch to become stable.
      Compiz does not depend on Emerald, and Emerald is not a general purpose theme manager; it only does window decorations. I don't think Redhat will include Emerald by default, but rather the simpler gtk-window-decorator. Also, Compiz is marked as "technology preview" in RHEL5.3 beta, according to the release notes.

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
        Compiz does not depend on Emerald, and Emerald is not a general purpose theme manager; it only does window decorations. I don't think Redhat will include Emerald by default, but rather the simpler gtk-window-decorator. Also, Compiz is marked as "technology preview" in RHEL5.3 beta, according to the release notes.
        I had no idea.

So what happens if I start Compiz and don't have Emerald?

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
          I had no idea.

So what happens if I start Compiz and don't have Emerald?
          If you have configured Emerald as your window decorator in Compiz, and it is not installed, then your windows will have no frames, drop-shadows etc . And you might get an error message, but Compiz will still run. Window decorations is a Compiz-plugin, where you can specify what decorator to use. Much like you can choose what window-manager to run in X.. The standard decorator in Ubuntu is gtk-window-decorator, and I guess RHEL5.3 will use whatever is standard in Fedora these days (I wouldn't know, but like I said, I'm guessing on gtk-window-decorator).
          Last edited by oyvind; 02 November 2008, 08:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Will new version CentOS include all this RHEL features?

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
              If you have configured Emerald as your window decorator in Compiz, and it is not installed, then your windows will have no frames, drop-shadows etc . And you might get an error message, but Compiz will still run. Window decorations is a Compiz-plugin, where you can specify what decorator to use. Much like you can choose what window-manager to run in X.. The standard decorator in Ubuntu is gtk-window-decorator, and I guess RHEL5.3 will use whatever is standard in Fedora these days (I wouldn't know, but like I said, I'm guessing on gtk-window-decorator).
              Indeed the default window decorator for Compiz on Fedora (and CentOS) and many other derivatives, just like the case in Ubuntu, is GTK-window-decorator. So is safe to assume that RHEL will implement Compiz through the much more stable (by means of not having as many plugins installed by default) of the Desktop-effects manager, which basically enables the core set of plugins for Compiz (window transparency, wobble, cube, water effect, window previews, minimize effect [not to be confused with the array of effects you can configure in CCSM, only the zoom effect is enabled]). I'm sure that there are going to be some Compiz related packages in EPEL for CentOS and RHEL.

Originally posted by Louise
              RHEL is not a Server OS as such... It includes many server-specific optimizations and packages, but it also makes for a fine workstation OS, and general purpose Corporative Desktop. It doesn't make sense to RUN X11 on a server, some times it doesn't make sense to have it even installed (could be useful, especially for remote administration through X11/GTK/QT admin apps, for the clickety-click-click kind of sysadmins, which doesn't require X runing, but rather the libs installed to make use of the protocol and tunneling, not much other than that)

Comment

Working...
              X