Nouveau Companion 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This attitude will get us nowhere.

Most of the people want Open Source software because it tends to be better, simply because people can change it and because it is free.

NVidia is marketleader, and always ahead on the competition. They don't want to document their technology because they are afraid this might be used by the competition.

NVidia does however release free, market leading drivers for Linux users, making it the best choice performance wise. Therefore it isn't so much of an issue to me and I think most of the users.

I understand you would rather have it opened up, but there are a lot more things to worry about in Linux world then NVidia right now. Actually if more company's would react like NVidia, Linux would have been much further right now.
    Last edited by MaestroMaus; 30 October 2008, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
      This attitude will get us nowhere.

Most of the people want Open Source software because it tends to be better, simply because people can change it and because it is free.
      I wouldn't say that it tends to be better. It can be, but at the same time it can be much worse. There are several areas where FOSS alternatives simply are years, maybe even decades, behind commercial closed source alternatives. I would venture to guess that 99.9% of FOSS software users wouldn't be able to diddily squat with sourcecode and still rely on others to fix bugs and add features but yet they like to drum the FOSS line saying "But we can't modify the source and make it better" just to join on the bitch and whine wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I wouldn't say that it tends to be better. It can be, but at the same time it can be much worse. There are several areas where FOSS alternatives simply are years, maybe even decades, behind commercial closed source alternatives. I would venture to guess that 99.9% of FOSS software users wouldn't be able to diddily squat with source code and still rely on others to fix bugs and add features but yet they like to drum the FOSS line saying "But we can't modify the source and make it better" just to join on the bitch and whine wagon.
        I do not completely agree with you. It's true, there is allot of bad O.S.S. out there, but there is also allot of bad C.S.S. out there. I think that if we could look at it relatively, there would be a lot more decent O.S.S. then C.S.S.

You and I both can't be sure about it of course. We can't come with evidence of it, since it's impossible to take a look at all programs, and O.S.S. hasn't gotten as much attention as C.S.S had.

Your second point is just the way things usually go with everything (C.S.S. included). For example: There is only a small percentage of the population educated/trained/experienced enough to know allot about cars. Yet everyone thinks he knows something about them, and bitches about how bad a specific brand/model of car is because in the past blablabla...

It's all a bit Philosophical tho. I don't think anyone will ever be able to solve the C.S.S. VS O.S.S. battle.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
          I do not completely agree with you. It's true, there is allot of bad O.S.S. out there, but there is also allot of bad C.S.S. out there. I think that if we could look at it relatively, there would be a lot more decent O.S.S. then C.S.S.

There are so much 1/2 finished, abandoned, or just poorly developed foss software out there that I really would have to say that proprietary stuff has a better record of project completion simply for the fact that the majority of the developers are getting paid to do so. Over 2/3's of sourceforge for example comprises of projects that never got off the ground, never completed or unmaintained for example. Commercial closed source development generally doesn't abandon development until a project is at least to a certian level of completion unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

There are so much 1/2 finished, abandoned, or just poorly developed foss software out there that I really would have to say that proprietary stuff has a better record of project completion simply for the fact that the majority of the developers are getting paid to do so. Over 2/3's of sourceforge for example comprises of projects that never got off the ground, never completed or unmaintained for example. Commercial closed source development generally doesn't abandon development until a project is at least to a certian level of completion unless absolutely necessary.
            Yeah, but you don't take into account that you will almost never hear about projects that are partially or entirely cut, because they are written by company's who wish to protect their name.

Comment

You don't know about all the half-arsed proprietary projects out there, so how can you compare? The fact that they are closed source means you can't even catalog them. Saying that OSS is inherently worse than proprietary software just because you are aware of more incomplete open source software projects is disingenuous. The only reason you are aware that they are incomplete is because they are open source.

Just a note on NVIDIA and their "quality drivers". I have had numerous unresolved issues with my 7900gs on both Linux and Vista. Some of these I've had for more than a year. To me, NVIDIA exemplify the benefit of open source drivers at least. When a manufacturer decides to stop supporting your product (and in the graphics world a refresh seems to be every 6 months), then with proprietary software you are left with peanuts. Windows devs themselves recognised the issue with device drivers. They apparently have been the cause for most of the Windows crashes in their past OSs. For Vista they decided to go down the driver signing route, which seems a bit silly since they only thing it guarentees is that the company can afford to purchase a Certificate from a CA and purchase the WDK signing kit or whatever. It's a pity that Microsoft dislikes open source stuff so much, because having some form of open source drivers in Windows would be infinitely more useful to their OS team than these "signed" drivers.

Comment

Where did the train go?

Comment

Originally posted by yesterday View Post
                  Just a note on NVIDIA and their "quality drivers". I have had numerous unresolved issues with my 7900gs on both Linux and Vista. Some of these I've had for more than a year. To me, NVIDIA exemplify the benefit of open source drivers at least. When a manufacturer decides to stop supporting your product (and in the graphics world a refresh seems to be every 6 months), then with proprietary software you are left with peanuts. Windows devs themselves recognised the issue with device drivers. They apparently have been the cause for most of the Windows crashes in their past OSs. For Vista they decided to go down the driver signing route, which seems a bit silly since they only thing it guarentees is that the company can afford to purchase a Certificate from a CA and purchase the WDK signing kit or whatever. It's a pity that Microsoft dislikes open source stuff so much, because having some form of open source drivers in Windows would be infinitely more useful to their OS team than these "signed" drivers.
                  Everything is relative. I didn't say their perfect. I said they where industry leading. Just buy a ATI card and use it for a few years. You'll learn to appreciate NVidia (no matter what OS).

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate AMD/ATI attempts to support the OS community, but the drivers are simply not as good as the ones we get from NVidia on both Windows and Linux (for now).

Comment

Working...
                  X