No announcement yet.

Windows 7 screens look like KDE 4!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole concept of "Windows 7" is almost 100% hype. Guess what they're calling the server counterpart?

Windows Server 2008 R2

Exciting stuff, huh?

Comment

Basically it would be Win 6.1, but that did not sound so good

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        LMAO, so because linux can DNS better that makes it the superior system? Oh by the way I do a shitload of video encoding and hate to tell ya but windows XP has linux beat in spades.
        Depends on the use. I do a lot of encoding too and bash+mencoder+mkvtoolnix+gpac+oggenc makes it a total win over the Windows solutions. Really I have no tool for XP that could win over my nice Linux bash scripts. Heck it's automated here, in Windows it's not and it needs a lot of clicks, add do that processing of many files and clear winner is Linux. Winner, because it saves my time.
        Last edited by val-gaav; 20 January 2009, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Your a moron if you don't run AV on any corp system including linux based ones. Many AV solutions are also completely free. Setting up proper administrator and user accounts are a start, but since you have to ask I would suggest reading up on windows security before making comments as to it's security. Of course Vista has improved that all with UAC as well.
          AV for Linux are mainly for scanning Windows networks. I would suggest you to don't base on theory or MS propaganda. UAC is marketing piece of crap. Completely free AV solutions still makes Windows slower. Where did you read about Windows security? MS site maybe?

LMAO so now you can do compression on video without encoding. Congratulations you just reached the holy grail of video.
          Who said that I wasn't encoding? Read ten times more.

@yotambien

Sorry, but it sounds that you...
          There are such situations so what?

Speaking about myths. Windows is an only system which can be affected second after connecting to the network and doing nothing.

@deanjo

"You're moron" if you consider that vista f.e. is secure. MS has REALLY great reaction time, really:

And they REALLY make great progress:

You don't even know if bug is fixed even if it's marked as resolved:

:>
          Last edited by kraftman; 20 January 2009, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Look.

I understand that it takes some time and effort to put some sentences together in a way that makes sense and may be interesting to others, be it in the shape of asking a good question or raising some good point. It also takes some time to properly read and understand what others have written before blindly retort.

Despite the usual approach seen in Slashdot and friends, the tech-related sites in the net do not have to be a constant flame competition. Lately, some threads in this forum get poisoned by the typical master of absolutely nothing who contributes exactly with that.

If all you are going to do is to provide some links to random stuff you found in the web one minute before posting it really is better that you restrain yourself, because nothing you are offering. It makes no sense to discuss anything with somebody who doesn't pay attention nor follows the logic of the discussion.

Since you have not made the effort to focus and reply properly to the questions posed--showing great disrespect--I don't see why others should.
            Last edited by yotambien; 20 January 2009, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              Since you have not made the effort to focus and reply properly to the questions posed--showing great disrespect--I don't see why others should.
              Yeah, there's "?" but I weren't asking you at all. If someone writes total bullshit I don't even care to answer him with "great respect" (I'm not talking about you) and I don't expect good answer. It's some kind of game.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Yeah, there's "?" but I weren't asking you at all. If someone writes total bullshit I don't even care to answer him with "great respect" (I'm not talking about you) and I don't expect good answer. It's some kind of game.
                It's OK, I'm cool. Back to the topic, what were we saying about that damn screenshot?

:-)

Comment

I'm not here to partake in the opinionated bits of this thread, but I would like to add a screenshot from my own desktop which demonstrates how easy it is to make your KDE desktop look like Windows 7.

Here's a little "how I did it", starting from a vanilla install:
                  1. Using Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha.
                  2. Kwin compositing effects enabled (so it looks even more like Vista/Win7 when you're using it, and seeing the transitions...)
                  3. Run `sudo aptitude install kwin-style-crystal plasmoid-weather` (or install the packages using Adept, Add/Remove, etc.)

----Window Decorations----
                  4. Go into System Settings -> Appearance -> Windows, select the Crystal theme. Then check all the boxes for round corners, increase Border Width to 7 and Titlebar Width to 24 (these numbers maybe slightly larger than Win7 uses, but just to enunciate the point )
                  5. In the Overlay tab (still in Appearance -> Windows) change the overlays to "Glass"
                  6. In Appearance -> Colors, change the color scheme to Steel. It's not exactly what Aero uses, but it's close. You could fiddle and get it spot on if you wanted.

----Plasmoids/Desktop----
                  7. I added the Calendar, Analog Clock, and Weather plasmoids to the desktop, retaining the default (and distinctive) KDE 4.2 plasmoids.
                  8. I took the wallpaper straight from Windows 7 Build 7000
                  9. Fired up SpeedCrunch to look more like the Win7 screenshot from the OP.

Note: I am not claiming that my screenshot is identical to the Win7 screenshot. It's not meant to be. It's just that, in about 15 minutes, I was able to take a default KDE 4.2 desktop and make it look a lot like Win7. This screenshot of my tweaking should be particularly surprising to those of you who have never seen KDE 4.2 Beta in action before: click here.

The major discrepancies are what people will either love or hate about Win7, i.e., in the behavior aspect rather than the sheer visual aspect.

For example, long-time Microsoft junkie Paul Thurrott maligned some of the more controversial UI tweaks in Win7. This is the meat and potatoes of determining which desktop you want to use -- can you live with Jumplists? Do you need to be able to see the names of the programs you're running in the taskbar, or are the icons enough? Do you want Mac OSX style merging of taskbar launchers with the classic "iconification" of running programs? These are questions that each individual user must answer when determining what they want out of their desktop.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                    it's KDE ported to windows!
                    funny story: KDE actually runs on Windows !!

LOL !

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      AV for Linux are mainly for scanning Windows networks. I would suggest you to don't base on theory or MS propaganda. UAC is marketing piece of crap. Completely free AV solutions still makes Windows slower. Where did you read about Windows security? MS site maybe?
                      Many many many sites, http://nvd.nist.gov/ is a regular daily read, itweekly, linux-security mailing lists, news announcements such as http://www.ubuntu.com/usn, white hat confrences, etc.

Who said that I wasn't encoding? Read ten times more.
                      You did.

Bullshit Linux was about 60% faster when I did video compression. Read more carefully please - I wrote about compression I didn't test encoding."
                      The only way to compress video is to transcode. Transcoding IS encoding. You cannot compress video with standard data compression. The only way is to re-encode the video to a codec. Even doing a DVD-9 to DVD-5 shrink you are still encoding the video. Yes there are lossless codecs out there and to use them you have to encode to that codec. Compression of video = encoding, Traditional data compression does NOTHING to video but actually makes them slightly larger. So when you say 60% faster compression you are saying 60% faster encoding since it is the only way to compress video.

Comment

Working...
                      X