Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo Rebrands SplashTop As "QuickStart"

Phoronix: Lenovo Rebrands SplashTop As "QuickStart"

Lenovo has announced this morning that they will begin shipping SplashTop-enabled netbooks. Next month Lenovo will be shipping "QuickStart" (just their re-branded version of SplashTop) on their new Atom-powered IdeaPad S10e...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But does it still share your entire hdd on the network?

Comment

What spashtop lacks is an easy way of adding/removing apps. They need a plugin capability. I can think of a few apps such as memtest, gparted/clonezilla, etc that would be more useful to me then Skype and such.

Comment

@[Knuckles]

That depends on the version shipped, the VIOS from hp's homepage was just pretty old, newer ST versions have got a more restricted apache. That means that apache is restricted to localhost and does not allow filebrowsing - it is still possible to access files when you know the location - like generic systemfiles. But you can access em much simpler using other customs apps. It is possible to remove apache if don't use the default photoviewer (and musicplayer).

@deanjo

memtest is maybe a bad example as app, because it is booted itself like a kernel, but other apps could be packaged as long as the binary is not compiled against a too new libc6. That means you can repackage for example apps for Debian etch.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          memtest is maybe a bad example as app, because it is booted itself like a kernel, but other apps could be packaged as long as the binary is not compiled against a too new libc6. That means you can repackage for example apps for Debian etch.
          Ya bad example using memtest, I realize that you can hack your way into adding the applications to it but that isn't the point I'm trying to make. A plug-in functionality would be far less involved. You could have a repo for splashtop apps and a simple package manger to handle it in the spashtop UI. Adding other file system support would be nice too.
          Last edited by deanjo; 28 October 2008, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Well basically a "repository" is _very_ easy, as you only have to copy new sqx files into the right dir and then you restart splashtop. Same way you can remove packages. Usually you create the va-XXX.sqx packages selfcontained, similar to klik maybe.

Comment

Working...
            X