Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swfdec or gnash ?

Hi all,

Sorry to ask a questions that has been over-debated but I'm in a process of installing a new distro (Gentoo to be accurate) and I've discovered that there is no adobe flash for x86_64.

So, my choice is : swfdec or gnash.

What would be the best choice, knowing that according to some, gnash is the best, and according to some others, swfdec is superior in all.
    Knowing also that what I've read so far on the topic is a little outdated as I think that Gnash and swfdec are receiving a lot of development effort, what is the situation as of today ?
    What project is the most active, so even if it should be a little late by now, which one has the most chances to reach a very good quality level ?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

And just one last question : could phoronix also test those flash alternatives to Adobe closed solution (if it's already done, apologizes for this request) ??

You can get adobe flash player working for a 64bit build.

First you need to "emerge -va netscape-flash" then you need to "emerge -va nspluginwrapper". Finally you will then need to restart your web browser and viola done.

Comment

As gnash had a major release a month or two ago, I tried it a few days ago on a new install of Kubuntu 8.10 RC. It didn't work on youtube, or on many other sites I tried. I uninstalled and used Adobe's flash plugin with no issues on x86_64.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        You can get adobe flash player working for a 64bit build.

First you need to "emerge -va netscape-flash" then you need to "emerge -va nspluginwrapper". Finally you will then need to restart your web browser and viola done.

Sorry, I should have mentionned I knew the "nspluginwrapper" trick.
        I'd just like to know if there was a true alternative to the closed source Adobe flash.
        Thanks anyway for all your answers so far, that reinforce my idea of going for sfwdec rather than for gnash.

Comment

If all you're really after is youtube, I've used swfdec for it with no problems

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
            If all you're really after is youtube, I've used swfdec for it with no problems
            I've finally emerged the swfdec packages, altogether with the mozilla-plugin and... youtube doesn't work.
            I emerged the last versions of swfdec with the support of gstreamer, but no luck.
            Probably my gstreamer needs an update. I'll try out.

Comment

You'll need gstreamer-ffmpeg and a an mp3 gstreamer plugin to get the codecs that youtube needs.

Comment

Yeah - download a .flv file (eg. a youtube video using keepvid.com etc.), and try to play it on your system using a gstreamer player - once that works, swfdec should work.

Comment

I've been using swfdec on my Fedora 9 installation for about 2 months now and didn't run into any major issues - most sites work just as good as with Adobe's Flash plugin. There are some minor flaws such as that volume adjustment in youtube doesn't work, but there's an (swfdec) option to turn off sound, too.
                  Didn't try gnash, but I'm happy with swfdec all the way around

Comment

Working...
                  X